December 22, 2011 6:30:57 AM

Hello guy/gals :) 

Current Setup

Asus P5KC (Dead)
E8400
8 GB Ram (800 MHz)
7600 GT
850 W PSU

My Motherboard (Asus P5KC) had recently died and instead of looking for an older 775 board for my E8400, I thought it would be more practical to purchase a newer setup and sell the older cpu & ram & video card for funding.

My main everyday use for this PC is (in Order) : AutoCad, Email, Browsing, Photoshop and the Occasional Video editing.
Also Im not much of a gamer but when my son is around for the weekends it would be nice if he could play with some of the newer games out there, he's only 11 so I he's not there yet to care much for Ultra High Res & Textures ;) 

So far my trusty E8400 has been great to me, never had the need to overclock it. But I do like the idea of having casual on board gaming capabilities on the 3850 if needed.

My only concern is if ill suffer a performance loss when it comes to the heavier Applications I use most (AutoCad & Photoshop & sometimes Premier) ?

Would I be better off buying a LGA775 Board & Decent Newer Gen Video Card ($150-$180) or Should I sell what I can and use it to buy a APU,Mobo,Ram Combo($300+) ?

More about : upgrade e8400 3850 apu

a b à CPUs
December 22, 2011 7:01:38 AM

^It will be a waste to let go of the E8400. I myself have 2 of those still running. I'd say buy a decent 775 motherboard (still available for <$50 at newegg) & a Cooler Master Hyper 212 (for $29 -if you still do not have an aftermarket CPU cooler). Next, overclocking the E8400 up to 4.0GHz.

Thus, at <$80, you give your PC a new lease in life. Then you can invest in better GPU which you can bring to your next build when the E8400 becomes really beyond economical upgrade.
a b à CPUs
December 22, 2011 7:28:05 AM

newegg and tigerdirect have nothing for 775 boards to overclock with.
Related resources
December 22, 2011 7:36:36 AM

randomkid said:
^It will be a waste to let go of the E8400. I myself have 2 of those still running. I'd say buy a decent 775 motherboard (still available for <$50 at newegg) & a Cooler Master Hyper 212 (for $29 -if you still do not have an aftermarket CPU cooler). Next, overclocking the E8400 up to 4.0GHz.

Thus, at <$80, you give your PC a new lease in life. Then you can invest in better GPU which you can bring to your next build when the E8400 becomes really beyond economical upgrade.

I actually did have an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 on it.
Out of the of the few from Newegg, which board would you recommend for OC'ing?

spentshells said:
newegg and tigerdirect have nothing for 775 boards to overclock with.

I was afraid of that.
a b à CPUs
December 22, 2011 8:03:38 AM

kymira said:
I actually did have an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 on it.
Out of the of the few from Newegg, which board would you recommend for OC'ing?

Sorry, did not look too hard before. When I saw spentshells comment, I filtered 775 mobo that supports DDr2 and there was just a few I can see. Biostar & MSI. But I do not expect extreme OC there to reach 4.0Ghz. Too bad...
but at <$60, you still get your PC back & can still OC a little with those that are available.

a b à CPUs
December 22, 2011 8:39:39 AM

a8 can beat a E8400
and trinity apu (a10) will be a great upgrade with fastest ddr3 ram that you can have
but have to wait

do not waste your money in an outdated tech.
Get your self a a8 or a10

Best solution

a c 88 à CPUs
December 22, 2011 9:04:02 AM

for what you have i would spend £150 on a mid-low gfx card and a cheap 775 board and gift the setup to your son. then youcan go splurge on a 3d cad monster for yourself, which in turn you can gift him when he does want decent gfx and high settings.

for your system no i wouldn't recommend any amd for now as they just aint worth the money in the price to power ratio ypu can get a 1155 board and a 200-350 stock or k series intel part and get more power per clock which is importand in apps like 3ds max. i know this because im learning to use it myself. even on my setup(see my sig) it takes up to 2 hours to render a relativity simple scene... like this http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh314/jaymack71/spac... . with mental ray render. but something like this http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh314/jaymack71/mari... will take seconds.

but the point is if you use an amd what takes me 2 hours would take you 4 and what takes me seconds would take minutes. so your not really left with a decision, intel is a must for this kind of thing.

December 24, 2011 7:20:33 AM

thanks for the reply's.
I am Considering the platform change to the A8-3850 setup for the time being. I have a friend who has the chip with an ASUS F1A75-V Pro who is looking to upgrade to either an i5 or 17 setup.
He offered me the cpu,motherboard & ram combo for $200, so Ill probably take it for that price.
January 2, 2012 11:03:11 PM

Best answer selected by kymira.
!