Upgrade fr E8400 to A8 3850 APU?

Hello guy/gals :)

Current Setup

Asus P5KC (Dead)
E8400
8 GB Ram (800 MHz)
7600 GT
850 W PSU

My Motherboard (Asus P5KC) had recently died and instead of looking for an older 775 board for my E8400, I thought it would be more practical to purchase a newer setup and sell the older cpu & ram & video card for funding.

My main everyday use for this PC is (in Order) : AutoCad, Email, Browsing, Photoshop and the Occasional Video editing.
Also Im not much of a gamer but when my son is around for the weekends it would be nice if he could play with some of the newer games out there, he's only 11 so I he's not there yet to care much for Ultra High Res & Textures ;)

So far my trusty E8400 has been great to me, never had the need to overclock it. But I do like the idea of having casual on board gaming capabilities on the 3850 if needed.

My only concern is if ill suffer a performance loss when it comes to the heavier Applications I use most (AutoCad & Photoshop & sometimes Premier) ?

Would I be better off buying a LGA775 Board & Decent Newer Gen Video Card ($150-$180) or Should I sell what I can and use it to buy a APU,Mobo,Ram Combo($300+) ?
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about upgrade e8400 3850
  1. ^It will be a waste to let go of the E8400. I myself have 2 of those still running. I'd say buy a decent 775 motherboard (still available for <$50 at newegg) & a Cooler Master Hyper 212 (for $29 -if you still do not have an aftermarket CPU cooler). Next, overclocking the E8400 up to 4.0GHz.

Thus, at <$80, you give your PC a new lease in life. Then you can invest in better GPU which you can bring to your next build when the E8400 becomes really beyond economical upgrade.
  2. newegg and tigerdirect have nothing for 775 boards to overclock with.
  3. randomkid said:
    ^It will be a waste to let go of the E8400. I myself have 2 of those still running. I'd say buy a decent 775 motherboard (still available for <$50 at newegg) & a Cooler Master Hyper 212 (for $29 -if you still do not have an aftermarket CPU cooler). Next, overclocking the E8400 up to 4.0GHz.

Thus, at <$80, you give your PC a new lease in life. Then you can invest in better GPU which you can bring to your next build when the E8400 becomes really beyond economical upgrade.

I actually did have an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 on it.
    Out of the of the few from Newegg, which board would you recommend for OC'ing?

Anonymous said:
    newegg and tigerdirect have nothing for 775 boards to overclock with.

I was afraid of that.
  4. kymira said:
    I actually did have an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 on it.
    Out of the of the few from Newegg, which board would you recommend for OC'ing?

Sorry, did not look too hard before. When I saw spentshells comment, I filtered 775 mobo that supports DDr2 and there was just a few I can see. Biostar & MSI. But I do not expect extreme OC there to reach 4.0Ghz. Too bad...
    but at <$60, you still get your PC back & can still OC a little with those that are available.
  5. a8 can beat a E8400
    and trinity apu (a10) will be a great upgrade with fastest ddr3 ram that you can have
    but have to wait

do not waste your money in an outdated tech.
    Get your self a a8 or a10
  6. Best answer
    for what you have i would spend £150 on a mid-low gfx card and a cheap 775 board and gift the setup to your son. then youcan go splurge on a 3d cad monster for yourself, which in turn you can gift him when he does want decent gfx and high settings.

for your system no i wouldn't recommend any amd for now as they just aint worth the money in the price to power ratio ypu can get a 1155 board and a 200-350 stock or k series intel part and get more power per clock which is importand in apps like 3ds max. i know this because im learning to use it myself. even on my setup(see my sig) it takes up to 2 hours to render a relativity simple scene... like this http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh314/jaymack71/spacemarine5.jpg . with mental ray render. but something like this http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh314/jaymack71/marinedollypainted.jpg will take seconds.

but the point is if you use an amd what takes me 2 hours would take you 4 and what takes me seconds would take minutes. so your not really left with a decision, intel is a must for this kind of thing.
  7. thanks for the reply's.
    I am Considering the platform change to the A8-3850 setup for the time being. I have a friend who has the chip with an ASUS F1A75-V Pro who is looking to upgrade to either an i5 or 17 setup.
    He offered me the cpu,motherboard & ram combo for $200, so Ill probably take it for that price.
  8. Best answer selected by kymira.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs