Quad Tuner Card Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

timothy2180

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
Ceton InfiniTV 4 Quad-tuner card

I have some questions about this card.

1. What interface is on the back of that card? I thought you had to use coaxial cable. Is that the interface that digital cable companies provide?

2. Can I record 1080p on a computer with a crappy monitor and a crappy video card? My plan is to use an old computer as a DVR/shared drive, and pull tv shows off of its drive, to watch on my new computer.

3. How do you setup recording shows with a TV Tuner card? Is there a GUI where I can type "The Daily Show" and it will automatically record every instance of The Daily Show that comes on? Please explain

Thanks.

Solution
The HD Tuner card will record the HD TV shows. If you don't have an HD capable GPU then you can't watch it at HD. You will still be able to watch it a low resolution.

HD TV tuner record show at the background. You don't need to watch while recording.

Playback is another thing. To watch in HD you need GPU capable of display 1080

Also take note of the HDCP compliance requirement of the board. Copyright protected materials require HDCP compliant GPU and Display. If your hardware is not HDCP compliant it will not record in HD.

leon2006

Distinguished
1) The interface at the back is for cable - COAX input. The TV feed from your cable company. The slot is for the cable-card from your cable service provider

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ImageGallery.aspx?CurImage=15-706-001-Z05&SpinSet=15-706-001-RS&ISList=15-706-001-Z01%2c15-706-001-Z02%2c15-706-001-Z03%2c15-706-001-Z04%2c15-706-001-Z05&S7ImageFlag=1&Item=N82E16815706001&Depa=0&WaterMark=0&Description=Ceton%20InfiniTV%204%20Quad-tuner%20Card%20for%20Watching%20Digital%20Cable%20TV%20on%20the%20PC%2c%20%20PCI-Express%20x1%20Interface

2) Here is the requirements to support the card
http://www.cetoncorp.com/products.php
- Most of the GPU card today can play 1080P even the low end add on cards
- You need big drives to store HD Tv shows. An hour of HD show is ~ 4 GBytes

3) You can use W7 Media Center in your PC.

timothy2180

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011

1. Ok, it does not look like coax to me. I thought coax was the circle-type connector with one copper core in the middle.

2. Tks.

3. Can it be used with Linux?(just curious)

Also, I was trying to determine this but I did not specify clearly enough. Is the following scenario possible?

Computer(a) with just the bare minimum(800x600 resolution), plus the Ceton InfiniTV card. I set this computer(a) up to record 1080p shows and save them to the terabytes of storage. This computer(a) is networked to another computer(b) that has an HD 6950 video card. I map to the storage on the computer(a) with the tuner card and start the tv shows or movies from my computer(b) with the HD 6950 video card. Will this work?

Thank you.

leon2006

Distinguished
My DVR/PVR is one of my Quad Core Q6600 running 3.GHZ. I can't comment on the eventual performance w/ low end PC. It has 8 G Memory and 2 2 -Terabyte SATA drive for storage.

I use linux for work but not for my multmedia DVR/PVR... I don't have the time to look for drivers and softwares to run these things in Linux. I'm using Windows Media Center.

If you read the requirements LINUX is not listed for compatible OS. Somewhere in the net could have written a driver for this in linux. You have to search for it.

I suggest you read the details on ceton website

http://www.cetoncorp.com/products.php

timothy2180

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011

My only worry is if I need to buy a good video card for the DVR computer. Do I need a 1080p GFX card in order to record 1080p shows? Or can I record with on board video and then use a different computer with a high end GFX card to play the shows?

Thanks.

timothy2180

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011

I see now. Thank you. I feel a little dumb haha. :)

leon2006

Distinguished
The HD Tuner card will record the HD TV shows. If you don't have an HD capable GPU then you can't watch it at HD. You will still be able to watch it a low resolution.

HD TV tuner record show at the background. You don't need to watch while recording.

Playback is another thing. To watch in HD you need GPU capable of display 1080

Also take note of the HDCP compliance requirement of the board. Copyright protected materials require HDCP compliant GPU and Display. If your hardware is not HDCP compliant it will not record in HD.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.