Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard won't recognize my GPU

Last response: in Motherboards
October 6, 2012 2:13:58 PM

Hi everyone i have just bought the final component for my computer a motherboard. I have a problem however it won't seem to recognize my GPU and the manual that came with my motherboard is no help at all. I have tried disabling the internal graphics card and telling it to use pci however nothing happens after i do that all i get is a black screen. This caused me to have to reset my CMOS to get anything on my screen. In my manual it lists the PCIe ports as PEX ports i looked in the bios but all i see are IGPX and PEG nothing else besides PCI. In my manual it says something about northbridge settings however i don't have them so i can't modify those. I have tried everything i even moved my card to both of the other spots for PCIe to see if the port was bad still nothing, there is enough power given to it i know that much however i can't seem to find the problem.

This is the motherboard i have.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813138355

BIOSTAR TZ77XE3
a c 127 V Motherboard
October 6, 2012 4:23:20 PM

bad link
m
l
a c 180 V Motherboard
October 6, 2012 4:41:25 PM

What is your graphics card? The slot that it should be in is the first one at the top closest to the cpu. the only other one that it could work in is the next full size pci-e slot. You are connecting the monitor cable to the video card and nit the motherboard correct?
If you take out the video card and use the intergrated graphics it works with that ?
When you install a video card in the first slot it's supposed to automaticly cancel the intergrated graphics and use the video card so there would be no need to make any adjustments in the bios.
First lets see what your video card is.
m
l
Related resources
October 6, 2012 8:52:10 PM

My GPU is a gtx 460, it is in the uppermost slot. Yes i am connecting the cable to the card and not the motherboard it is a mini hdmi so i know that much. The intergrated graphics work regardless of if the card is in or not.
m
l
October 6, 2012 11:47:58 PM

Did you install the video card drivers before you insert it into the slot. what version of windows. Did you power your video card from your power supply?
m
l
October 6, 2012 11:55:24 PM

Looks like it requires over 150 w to run. How much power do you have?

460s require 2 6pin PCIe power plugs, which are mounted facing the rear of the card. As the ATX power limit for a card with 1 plug is 150W, this makes 2 plugs required on the 160W
m
l
October 7, 2012 12:56:20 AM

I have a 500 watt psu which i was assured would be enough for my build. I can't install drivers as my card is not recognized so when i go to install them i get a message saying no compatible devices have been found. I have plugged the 2 six pin connectors on my card, the fans are running it is properly seated and nothing is happening.
m
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 7, 2012 1:03:13 AM

kjb1686 said:
I have a 500 watt psu which i was assured would be enough for my build. I can't install drivers as my card is not recognized so when i go to install them i get a message saying no compatible devices have been found. I have plugged the 2 six pin connectors on my card, the fans are running it is properly seated and nothing is happening.

try reseating it again. most of the time i see this problem, it is mostly a connection in the PCI x16 slot. also try the other slots; it doesn't matter which one it is in, it will be recognized if everything is working properly.
m
l
October 7, 2012 3:34:35 AM

Maybe its the hdmi cable connection. Try another type of connection to any monitor. Is the HDMI to a tv or monitor maybe resolution is to high. I have also had motherboards that would show a black screen if I had a cd in the optical drive. If I turned of the monitor and tuned it back on the display was there it was an HP monitor and an Asus motherboard.
m
l
October 7, 2012 1:02:30 PM

I know for a fact the hdmi cable isn't bad seeing as i have used and am still using it for my laptop. I have tried DVI which is the only other connector on it and still no picture. I am really tempted to RMA the card.
m
l
a c 180 V Motherboard
October 7, 2012 5:21:15 PM

You said in your original post that you just got the final piece of your computer , does thatmean that you were building the computer and did not have it finished untill the motherboard or were you upgrqading an older computer and you were buying piece by piece. Have you tried the video card at any previous point on another motherboard or can you try it on another computer before you do a RMA. It would be good to be completely sure that it's the video card and not the motherboard.
m
l
October 7, 2012 6:07:32 PM

I have no other computer to test it out on i got the card in march of this year and i had some bad luck with my motherboards so it has been sitting until just recently. I kept it in the bag it came with so i know for a fact there is no way it could have gotten fried. I was originally going to build it months ago but like i said bad luck.
m
l
a c 180 V Motherboard
October 7, 2012 9:48:53 PM

Well the 30 days it past on the video card so that's out and you just got the motherboard so if you have no other way to test then you'll have to RMA the motherboard and hope it's that. If not then you'll have to RMS the video card back to the manufacturer. It's always easier to RMA somwthing back to the place of purchase then it is to the manufacturer.
Are there any computer repair shops nearby where you could take the two parts to test?
m
l
October 8, 2012 12:49:11 AM

There are a few but i live in a small town so i feel like i might get ripped off if i take them there. Yes it is always easier but i checked and it seems that the card has a 3 yr limited warranty it is a EVGA gtx 460 if that makes a difference.
m
l
a c 180 V Motherboard
October 8, 2012 12:57:15 AM

In a good way it does make a difference as they do keep thier Warranty and if you have to RMA the video card then you should have no problems with it.
m
l
October 8, 2012 1:58:57 AM

Well that is a good thing i guess i am going to keep messing around to see what i can come up with. If i have to RMA it i know that i will at least have a good chance for it to be fixed.
m
l
!