First time building a computer

nuke1986

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
Hello everyone,

I've always bought premade systems and have recently realized how much money i wasted doing this. Thus i am finally going to bite the bullet, spend a few hours googling and put one together myself. It will be almost exclusively for gaming and internet usage. That said, i just have a few questions, first here are the parts i am planning on purchasing:

ASUS P8Z68-V LE LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K

EVGA 012-P3-1570-AR GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

HITACHI Deskstar 7K3000 HDS723020BLA642 (0f12115) 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply

And please forgive me in advance for the stupidity of these questions....

1) Are all these parts compatible?
2) Is the PSU large enough?
3) Do i need to get any cables to connect any of the components or will they be included?
4) Any glaring omissions? Important parts i will need that are not on the list?
5) Do i need any type of network card?
6) Will this system be compatible with a 3d monitor and the nvidia glasses?
7) Should i add a sound card if i will be playing with surround sound headphones almost all the time?

Obviously i know i will need a case but assume that any full size tower will work with just about anything so i more concerned with getting the right components. But if anyone knows a relatively cheap one with good ventilation/cooling feel free to suggest it.

Thank you all very much in advance for the help, it is much appreciated.

beenthere

Distinguished
Before you buy any PSU read accurate, objective PSU reviews at reputable sites such as www.jonnyguru.com or www.hardwaresecrets.com on the EXACT model PSU that you are interested in as some brands have good and poor quality PSUs.

You can also get an accurate rating of how much PSU power is required for your current or future system at the PSU calculator link below. Once you know the total PSU watts required then you need to confirm that the 12v rail has enough amps. to support your Vid card(s) and the rest of the PC system.

There are several websites that show the Vid card power consumption in watts. Divide the watts by 12 to determine the amps. required on the 12v rail(s). Add 15 amps for the rest of the PC on the 12v rail and you now know the Minimum total 12v rail amps required under full load. It's best to have at least 5-10 amps. reserve on the 12v rail available under full load so the PSU is not loaded to 100%.

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

http://www.guru3d.com/article/gefo [...] -review/14

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews [...] Ti/25.html

genghiskron

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
looks like a good start. please fill out the form linked in my signature so we have all the information necessary to help you. the i5-2500k will perform just as well as the i7-2600k in games, and is therefore a better choice.

your mobo will come with an ethernet adapter.
should work for 3d.
do u have a usb or 3.5mm headset? typically you dont need a sound card and you definitely shouldnt get one with a usb headset.