G

Hi...brand new newbie poster here :)I have isdn because there is no broadband service available where I live and I would send my machine thru a window if i had to stay on 56k. I imagine there are others out there..isnt there? So i was wondering if anyone uses an isdn router. What is a good brand and/or model and is it better than a reg isdn modem? I currently have a netgear xm128(2 channel) modem with ok results but have recently heard that a router would be faster.Any info would be appreciated!
life is faster than 56k!

G

Define what you mean by "router". I have what 3Com calls an ISDN router. It's no different than my old XM-128, except that it is USB. It is faster than my XM-128, but that is only do to the USB bus. When I hook it up through the optional serial bus it is the same as the XM-128. And my USB connection is not reliable. It cuts off on it's own at random intervals. And when it does that it fries the dial up networking function in my windows. I have to re-boot. 3Com's support sucks since they merged with US Robotics. They don't have the correct driver on their website for this model. All they have is the driver for the basic ISDN TA, not the Pro TA, and I think that is the reason mine is not working properly. I don't have the problem with the serial connection. If you decide to go with soemthing else, I wouldn't reccomend 3Com. And I agree, ISDN beats analog any day of the week, and we are stuck with it til broadband gets here.