Old PSU - New build Enermax

Hey guys,

Building a new system atm. and I wonder if the Enermax Galaxy 850w PSU (it's about 4/5 years old) will not cause any issues in my build untill i get some more money for a new one, in about 1 or 2 month's time. I will not be overclocking anything yet.

I5 2500k 3.3Ghz
G.Skill RipjawsX 8GB 1600Mhz
Gigabyte P67A-UD4 B3
2x 500GB HDDs Maxtor & Hitachi

Thanks.
6 answers Last reply
More about build enermax
  1. Enermax is a good quality brand; you may be fine for awhile. If you want to overclock, do it slowly a little at a time and see how stable your system is. The other factor is your video card, which you don't list.
  2. I forgot about it and then i couldn't edit the thread. It's a GeForce 9800GT. When i upgrade the GPU to 6870 or the 6950 i will upgrade the PSU, too.
  3. Should be fine, like a cars engine, it will have lost a little horsepower of the years, but still have enough to power your pc, as long as all the voltages and amps are constant and not wildly fluctuation.
  4. kamilmu6 said:
    I forgot about it and then i couldn't edit the thread. It's a GeForce 9800GT. When i upgrade the GPU to 6870 or the 6950 i will upgrade the PSU, too.

If what you have is the Enermax Galaxy EGX850EWL, with its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 68 Amps and with three 6-pin and two 6+2 pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, there is really no need to replace it when you upgrade your graphics card to a Radeon HD 6870 or a Radeon HD 6950.

It already has the 24-pin ATX main power connector and 8-pin ATX 12V power connector required by the GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD4-B3 motherboard.
  5. That's great! The only thing I was worried about is the PSU safe - I don't wanna bust any of the brand new components. So, is it safe?
  6. Sure. Check the current voltage readings in the bios or at the first post screen with your new motherboard in the hardware monitor section. The allowance is +/- .5%. So the 12v reading can be between 11.7 and 12.5 (approximately) and should be fairly steady.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Enermax New Build Components