• Looks: Coolermaster V10
  • 0 %
  • Performance: Noctua NH-D14
  • 50 %
  • Mix: Recommendations
  • 50 %
December 22, 2011 11:46:37 AM

Hi,

I am going to be switching out a few peices in my PC and would like some input into what choices I make.
My current build is an i7 920 which I have had OC'd at 4ghz stable using a Domino ALC watercooler; due to degradation of the unit and the failure to clean the radiator without mashing the fins up I am required to get a new cooler for my CPU if I wish to keep a decent OC.

I love the looks of my Antec DF-85 and I know that the Coolermaster V10 will go perfectly with it HOWEVER I know that the performance will be much lower than the Noctua NH-D14......so get the D14 you say.......but them 90's smoke stained fans look absolutely rancid.

So my question to you guys is looks or performance?

I have added another option on there for recommendations as there maybe something out there but please make note I don't anything small and I don't want to go for a watercooling internal rad (h100/80 etc)

Thanks
Sig

More about : performance cpu cooler

December 22, 2011 12:05:50 PM

I lean heavily toward performance. A cooler CPU allows for even more overclocking potential. Though the Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus is probably the best fan for the buck (from what I can recall). With this, I've overclocked my i7-2600K to 4 GHz and that fan (provided you have a case big enough to handle that monster) is making it hard for my CPU to get much above 55C when the stock fan was pushing 60C quite easily under the same conditions.
December 22, 2011 12:15:10 PM

To be perfectly honest your correct about the hyper 212 but im not too worried about the price.

The DF-85 afaik is big enough for any of the air coolers out there so its kind of a no limits thing.

Sig
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 22, 2011 12:45:29 PM

Step 1 - Buy NH-D14
Step 2 - Buy Aftermarket Fans that look awesome
Step 3 - Install
Step 4 - DERP
a b à CPUs
December 22, 2011 12:58:42 PM

Noctua NH-D14 is king. I use an Zalman CNPS10X Performa and is a good cooler.
December 22, 2011 1:07:32 PM

Step 1 - get to Doncaster
Step 2 - get a DJ
Step 3 - Rape till bored

Although your right DJ.....thats a big job
December 22, 2011 1:13:31 PM

To be fair, any generally positively reviewed CPU cooler from a respectable brand will cool your CPU just fine. If you have the money, buy the one you like. This "maximize all!!" attitude is so going on my nerves. Every time a person asks opinions on his system that is not a 2500k + Asus P68Z + CM Hyper 212 + 560Ti he gets criticized for buying crap. And the people who say that call themselves enthusiasts.
What is there enthusiastic about a "2500k + Asus p8z68 + CM Hyper 212 + 560Ti"? It's the most cookie-cutter PC I can imagine.

Just find a great looking cooler, check if it's generally well reviewed and buy it. It might be 1 dB louder and cool by 1 degree worse, but will it matter?

PS - I'm about to buy a NH-D14 - for, here it comes, "the looks". I think it will look great on an Asus Sabertooth 990. :D 
a b à CPUs
December 22, 2011 1:19:21 PM

Its not, the fans dont come glued on with prickstick for your convenience. You have to install them anyway. Just find some nice, high performance fans and screw em in - then DERP to 4.0ghz and run some benches for funzies.
a c 161 à CPUs
December 22, 2011 2:01:44 PM

Looks can't cool a CPU. V8 and V10 are pure crap.
December 22, 2011 2:22:47 PM

tulx said:
To be fair, any generally positively reviewed CPU cooler from a respectable brand will cool your CPU just fine. If you have the money, buy the one you like. This "maximize all!!" attitude is so going on my nerves. Every time a person asks opinions on his system that is not a 2500k + Asus P68Z + CM Hyper 212 + 560Ti he gets criticized for buying crap. And the people who say that call themselves enthusiasts.
What is there enthusiastic about a "2500k + Asus p8z68 + CM Hyper 212 + 560Ti"? It's the most cookie-cutter PC I can imagine.

Just find a great looking cooler, check if it's generally well reviewed and buy it. It might be 1 dB louder and cool by 1 degree worse, but will it matter?

PS - I'm about to buy a NH-D14 - for, here it comes, "the looks". I think it will look great on an Asus Sabertooth 990. :D 

Thanks for completely going on a rant, your post was useless to me.
Just because a cooler is reviewed well and is from a respectable brand doesnt mean it is going to be fit for purpose, i.e. the stock i7 fans are viewed by many as a high quality cooler for the purpose and they would be correct but this would clearly be useless for going for a 3.6ghz+ OC.

The variant between the 2 coolers is ~8-11 degrees which can quite easily mean the difference between a 4 and 4.2 ghz OC so yes it is rather relevant.

December 22, 2011 2:25:36 PM

After some contemplation Deadjon has hit the nail on the head, its just finding some fans which will be perfect for it.
a c 120 à CPUs
December 22, 2011 4:27:45 PM

saint19 said:
Looks can't cool a CPU. V8 and V10 are pure crap.

^+1 so true!
Thermalright Silver Arrow or Archon FTW!
TY-140 or TY-150mm = kickass!
a b à CPUs
December 22, 2011 4:55:16 PM

tulx said:

Win!

Not everyone is into XXtremeXX overclocking. If you're going to see the heatsink through a side window everyday you may as well buy something that's pretty. Just make sure it will do the job you want it to by checking the reviews and go for it. Who really cares about 2-3'C cooler? If your that concerned buy a box fan and point it at your PC.
a b à CPUs
December 22, 2011 4:58:08 PM

signor said:
Thanks for completely going on a rant, your post was useless to me.
Just because a cooler is reviewed well and is from a respectable brand doesnt mean it is going to be fit for purpose, i.e. the stock i7 fans are viewed by many as a high quality cooler for the purpose and they would be correct but this would clearly be useless for going for a 3.6ghz+ OC.

The variant between the 2 coolers is ~8-11 degrees which can quite easily mean the difference between a 4 and 4.2 ghz OC so yes it is rather relevant.

So what will you be doing with your extra 200Mhz of power that's so incredibly important? By that logic you'd be better off buying an i7 2700K instead of a 2600K and I think we all know who does that (HINT: the answer is no one).

You asked for opinions and you got one. If you didn't want anyone to reply that looks are important then why include it in the poll options?
a c 229 à CPUs
December 22, 2011 5:44:07 PM

Performance rules.....but I wouldn't have any of those on my list.

Performance to my view is measured in several ways.....for a cooler at the very least it's thermal performance....this is a factor on everyone's mind.

To perhaps a lesser degree, perhaps not, is acoustical performance....for me this is secondary but still very significant.

Finally, cost is a factor..... not so much when ya talking a range if $50 between the budget and hi end, but still can make or break a build for some people.

The DH-14 was a great great LGA 775 cooler..... but since 1366/1156/1155 it fell of benchmarkreviews and others top 10 list and while still an impressive performer, I'd rather go with the more recent designs specifically designed for the newer CPU's

The Coolermaster V6 make me feel like I'm at the airport ....the V10 isn't far off and it's thermal performance is far from impressive....its almost a full 10C behind the Megahalems
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

-If ya want top notch performance with stock fans, and ya don't care about noise, the CM V6 GT would be the way to go (61.2C in test)

-If ya want top notch performance with 3d party fans, and ya can put up w/ some noise, the Thermalright Silver Arrow w/ Delta Fan would be the way to go (55.8C in test....5.5C below V6 GT)

-If ya want top notch performance with stock fan, and ya don't wanna hear the dang thing at all, the Thermalright Silver Arrow w/ stock fan would be the way to go (61.8C in test.....just half degree hotter than CM V6 GT). Adding a 2nd stock fan should pick up that half degree easily and then some ....and yes, it;s still silent

a c 161 à CPUs
December 22, 2011 5:51:13 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
Performance rules.....but I wouldn't have any of those on my list.

Performance to my view is measured in several ways.....for a cooler at the very least it's thermal performance....this is a factor on everyone's mind.

To perhaps a lesser degree, perhaps not, is acoustical performance....for me this is secondary but still very significant.

Finally, cost is a factor..... not so much when ya talking a range if $50 between the budget and hi end, but still can make or break a build for some people.

The DH-14 was a great great LGA 775 cooler..... but since 1366/1156/1155 it fell of benchmarkreviews and others top 10 list and while still an impressive performer, I'd rather go with the more recent designs specifically designed for the newer CPU's

The Coolermaster V6 make me feel like I'm at the airport ....the V10 isn't far off and it's thermal performance is far from impressive....its almost a full 10C behind the Megahalems

-If ya want top notch performance with stock fans, and ya don't care about noise, the CM V6 GT would be the way to go (61.2C in test)

-If ya want top notch performance with 3d party fans, and ya can put up w/ some noise, the Thermalright Silver Arrow w/ Delta Fan would be the way to go (55.8C in test....5.5C below V6 GT)

-If ya want top notch performance with stock fan, and ya don't wanna hear the dang thing at all, the Thermalright Silver Arrow w/ stock fan would be the way to go (61.8C in test.....just half degree hotter than CM V6 GT). Adding a 2nd stock fan should pick up that half degree easily and then some ....and yes, it;s still silent

So, the V6 and V6GT are good coolers?
a c 480 à CPUs
December 22, 2011 6:01:15 PM

Performance. Period.
a c 120 à CPUs
December 23, 2011 2:54:22 AM

saint19 said:
So, the V6 and V6GT are good coolers?

Yes SAINT19 the V6GT is excellent but on the loud side.
As we know the others V's are duds.
a c 186 à CPUs
December 23, 2011 5:30:42 AM

December 23, 2011 6:00:41 AM

My preferences (1 is most important):
1) Size (it has to fit in the case, right?)
2) Performance
3) Noise (close third to performance)
4) Price

I would make a list of the top performers. Then strike out the ones that won't fit in your case. Then strike out ones that are too noisy. Then out of that list, choose one that looks good and is priced within your budget.

This all goes out the window if you choose your own fans, though, because you can't judge performance or noise.
!