Sign in with
Your question

N64 hardware question... It's a weird one...

Last response: in Systems
September 21, 2011 3:51:56 AM

Hey Tom's community! Got a weird one for yall. The n64 required an expansion card...ish... thingy... in order to play certain games. It had a red top and black body and fit into a middle slot on the system on top.

The question is, what was it? Who designed it ( who did Nintendo get hte hardware from?) Was it some sort of additional CPU? Was it a new Gpu? What capabilities did it add to the system?
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
September 21, 2011 4:15:59 AM

google is your friend
m
l
September 21, 2011 4:18:35 AM

Thank God for Tomshardware community.
m
l
Related resources
September 21, 2011 2:33:07 PM

cptpoppinfresh said:
Hey Tom's community! Got a weird one for yall. The n64 required an expansion card...ish... thingy... in order to play certain games. It had a red top and black body and fit into a middle slot on the system on top.

The question is, what was it? Who designed it ( who did Nintendo get hte hardware from?) Was it some sort of additional CPU? Was it a new Gpu? What capabilities did it add to the system?

I believe it was called the 'Expansion Pak' it added a few MB to the system which then enabled some games to have more detail. I bought back in the day to play Majoras Mask, as it was required.
m
l
September 21, 2011 3:26:47 PM

Expansion pack expanded the N64's memory from 4Mbit to 8Mbit. It allowed some games to play with "High" resolution / High Quality.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 21, 2011 3:27:18 PM

It was additional RAM. That's it. Despite the fact that the N64 used a cartridge for fast access the high latency and small amount of RAM was a big limitation. Additional RAM made a big difference for developers allowing extra detail.
m
l
September 21, 2011 3:28:37 PM

+1 : it's a Expansion Pack from nintendo:

You went from 4 mg memory to 8 mg. if i remember.

I actually have on that still works :p  (i remember playing Perfect dark and needed one of those )
m
l
!