Power LED function question

IndirectHero

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
Hello all! I have some questions and want a better understanding of the Power LED. First of all, do we really need it to be plug in the motherboard? Because I have a dilemma with my Power LED. The motherboard I purchased has a 3-pin male Power LED while my computer case has a 2-pin female Power LED. So I can't manage to separate the postie and negative. Unless the middle pin on the motherboard is also counted as negative but I'm guessing that neutral. Any help on this would be much appreciated!

IndirectHero

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
It a GIGABYTE GA-G41MT-USB3 LGA 775 Intel G41 USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

I got it from Newegg

Product.aspx

Jack, a lot of G'byte motherboards have what amounts to 2 power LED conectors, one a 3 pin connector usually off by itself, the other a two pin connector as part of the Front Panel Header Block.

IH, look for the F_PANEL drawing. Should be around page 15. Use pins 2 and 4 labeled "Message/Power/Sleep LED".

The LED's are polarized. White wires go to the "-" pins. If you get it wrong, just reverse the plug. You will not hurt anything. The switches are not polarized.