Booting without RAM?

The BrentP

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012
I'm waiting on my RAM and wanted to fire everything up to make sure it was working properly. I know it won't complete POST, but shouldn't something pop up on my monitor? I'm seeing the DRAM LED lit on the motherboard, just nothing on the monitor. Want to make sure my video card wasn't DOA.

I'm pretty sure that you'll need ram installed for the screen to display. If your mobo speaker is plugged in you should get three short beeps (normally indicates a ram error) also. But to me, it seems as though things are working right, all things considered

The BrentP

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012
I don't have the speaker in, but the DRAM LED is on... so I'm assuming that's alerting me to a problem with the RAM, being that it's not there. It got held up by UPS for some reason and I already had everything else installed...just wanted to make sure everything else was good.

maxmuk

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013
I am building a new machine, and don't have any RAM for the same reason - held up by shipping. Damn those bargain deals. Anyway, three beeps, and then enters (as far as I can tell) a perpetual reboot cycle. No display, only a motherboard power light.

TRENDING THREADS