HP Pavilion g6-1232sa - CPU upgrade

Chris101

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
Hello,

I have a HP Pavilion g6-1232sa. It comes with AMD Dual-Core E2-3000M processor (1.8 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB, 1 MB L2 cache). I have already upgraded the momroy from 4GB to 8GB and would like to upgrade the processor. But I have never upgraded a laptop's processor before. I am presuming that if it has the same socket type then it will work? I am thinging of upgrading it to AMD Quadcore A8-3500M APU with Radeon™ HD 6620G (1.5Ghz) if posible.

Does anyone know if this will work before I purchase the CPU, or if it will make much difference. I mainly use it as a cheap mobile gaming laptop.

Chris101

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
Hi,
I have had a look at the tech manual on HP's website, the cpu can be replaced in case of a fault and doesn't appear to be soldered on. It has a FS1 socket, just needed to know if it could be any processor with the same socket type or if there will be some power issues if I use a more power full chip? Of if it will just fail to boot.

Does HP use the chip you want in similar laptops? You may need a BIOS upgrade to support the new CPU, and the ONLY source of such an update would be HP. If HP doesn't use that chip it is unlikely that they would provide an updated BIOS. If the new CPU requires more power, that could also lead to issues.

In short, I don't have any experience in upgrading laptop CPUs. It's always seemed to be more trouble than it was worth.