What to do about the thermal grease?

Ok so my firend who is an amature at building computers asked me to come look at his build he's doing.clancing it over before power on i notice a little thermal grease has seaped passed the heat sink and processor, so i remove stuff to clean it off a bit and notice a little has leacked into the very corner of the socket area for the processor. It really isnt touching the connection pins or noting but im afraid to clean it out somehow in fear of damaging the socket. Should we just have newegg exchange it for a new mobo or try to turn the computer on. Everything is still in warrentie and return status.
6 answers Last reply
More about what thermal grease
  1. Most thermal paste is non conductive, but not all. What kind do you have?
    I would try and clean it off using some alcohol. The purer, the better.
    You could post a photo, but I think you are good to power on.

    If there is lots of grease, too much was probably applied. All you need is a small drop. Too much acts like an insulator.
  2. everything might still be under warranty, but you always have the possibility of being denied. the board wasnt shipped with thermal paste on the socket, and they will most likely find it.

    follow Geo's advice and do your best to clean it off.
  3. Well i cant take a photo but the view is he installed everything and its upright, the grease seeped into the lower left corner of the processor where the arrow guide is. It only seeped between a couple of the connecting pins to the processor. Otherwise everything's looking OK its just a small corner. But what im hearing is as long as its not alot of covering a *** ton of the pins to processor it should be ok to power on is what im hearing?
  4. Well I meant like a replacement or defective part warranty I hear ya. I'll tell my friend this and do my best to clean the paste. Would you recremend using a q-tip or tooth pick
  5. exia46 said:
    Well i cant take a photo but the view is he installed everything and its upright, the grease seeped into the lower left corner of the processor where the arrow guide is. It only seeped between a couple of the connecting pins to the processor. Otherwise everything's looking OK its just a small corner. But what im hearing is as long as its not alot of covering a *** ton of the pins to processor it should be ok to power on is what im hearing?


    If the grease spread into the pins, you need to get it off.
    All of the pins need good contact.
    If the grease was applied after the cpu was mounted in the socket, which is the normal way, Any overflow should not cause a problem.
  6. Thank you thats the word i was looking for overflow. Yes there still contact as far as i can tell
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus Motherboards