Sign in with
Your question

Random reboots with newly built system

Last response: in Systems
September 21, 2011 5:16:16 AM

Hi all, I was hoping you could help me out with a problem I'm having. I built my first computer about a few weeks ago, and it's been having a problem with random reboots while I'm playing certain games. Here's the specs:

MB: ASUS P8P67 PRO REV 3.1
CPU: Core i5 2500K (not OCed) w/ Cooler Master H212+
GPU: MSI GTX 560 Ti Hawk
RAM: G. SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8 GB DDR3 1600
HD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB
PSU: Corsair HX850
Case: Corsair 600T (white)

The random reboots have only occurred in the following games: The Sims 3, Starcraft 2, Cities in Motion, and The Witcher. Other games like Crysis and Deus Ex: HR have been fine, no problems.

I've looked up some info online and I've checked a few things. GPU temps max out at 66-67ºC in Crysis, and CPU temps max out at 54ºC when running Prime95. I ran Memtest overnight and it returned zero errors. I've also made sure all my drivers are up-to-date.

If you all have any ideas, I'd appreciate it. I'm a little frustrated right now.
a b B Homebuilt system
September 28, 2011 2:31:16 AM

dbreed said:
Hi all, I was hoping you could help me out with a problem I'm having. I built my first computer about a few weeks ago, and it's been having a problem with random reboots while I'm playing certain games. Here's the specs:

MB: ASUS P8P67 PRO REV 3.1
CPU: Core i5 2500K (not OCed) w/ Cooler Master H212+
GPU: MSI GTX 560 Ti Hawk
RAM: G. SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8 GB DDR3 1600
HD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB
PSU: Corsair HX850
Case: Corsair 600T (white)

The random reboots have only occurred in the following games: The Sims 3, Starcraft 2, Cities in Motion, and The Witcher. Other games like Crysis and Deus Ex: HR have been fine, no problems.

I've looked up some info online and I've checked a few things. GPU temps max out at 66-67ºC in Crysis, and CPU temps max out at 54ºC when running Prime95. I ran Memtest overnight and it returned zero errors. I've also made sure all my drivers are up-to-date.

If you all have any ideas, I'd appreciate it. I'm a little frustrated right now.

Asus boards are very finicky about RAM that's not on their QVL. Especially when all slots are populated and you are using the faster rated memory. Try running the RAM at 1333, or just run 2 sticks for awhile to see if the problem goes away. Your temps are good, btw.
!