CD Burning Stops

Qacer

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Happy Holidays all! :)

I have a Yamaha 8x8x24 internal burner.. Currently, this burner is slaved off my Panasonic DVD drive... I usually use two programs to burn: Nero and Disc Juggler.

Ever since I got this burner, I've been having this nasty problem. While in the middle of burning, the burner lights just go off and completely stops burning. I tried waiting for an hour to see if it would come back on. It was still off.

The bad part is: this problem has made me the man with the most coasters. It sucks big time. Once in a while, there are successful burns. But most of the time I get these weird timeouts that stop the CD recording process..

Any tips? :)

I used Thevenin to simplify my motherboard's circuits.

yoda271828

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Is sounds lile you are getting a buffer underrun. This is where the data supply to the burner is interrupted so it stops burning. In case you didn't know, you can't use your computer for anything else while you are burning. You should also disable the screen saver, sometimes they can cause problems.

Kodiak

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
if that doesn't help, the safest way to avoid underruns is to make an image of the CD, i.e. first put all those programs/music/whatever in one 600+ MB file, which will look exactly like the CD will -- that way your computer doesn't have to search for the files and organize/translate them on the run:)

if you have multiple drives, put the image on the most reliable one (I have 2 HDs in my computer, and I can't really burn off one of them very well)

Qacer

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ahhh... thanks all! :) Very insightful comments. I too have two hard drives. I usually burn off the slave drive, but I guess I will try putting data on the main drive. I had no luck with burning cd images before.. I ended up copying the whole cd contents to the hard drive and burning them.. But, as I said, the slave drive was mostly used. This is worth a try.. thanks! :)

Btw, I did shut down everything..including the virus scanner..

--sign here--
"I used Thevenin to simplify my motherboard's circuits."
--by me--

seanmcne

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I know that you may be stuck on those software programs but maybe give Adaptec a try. Also try cleaning your registry of all the keys that involve those other 2 programs. That has been a problem that I have run into before. Good luck!!!

-=-Sean-=-