USB ports "cutting out"?

D4rkedge

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
Ever since yesterday my USB ports have randomly started "turning off". This problem appears to affect all my USB devices.

To describe what actually happens, it's like there's a lack of power to all my USB ports or something, this "lack of power" causes some things such as my adapter for my mouse and keyboard, to just freeze for a second (which is still very annoying when playing games), a more major thing that this issue appears to be causing is my USB headset will freeze up, and not come back until I unplug and plug it back in.

If it helps, these "freezes" or whatever are much more common when playing games, or using memory hogs like Skype.

This issue does not appear to happen to all USB ports at once, but at different times (so my mouse and keyboard freezing up for a second will not cause my headset to cut out, at least not both at once)

Specs:
i5 650
ASRock P55DE3
4GB RAM
nVidia GTS 250

Thanks in advance,
Darkedge.

D4rkedge

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
Hey guys,

I just noticed something that happens when my headset cuts out, my audio mixer gets "stuck".

See below:
33o7gg1.png

Checked event viewer, nothing out of the normal.
Opened case, all seemed to be fine.

Thanks guys, hope to get a reply soon!
Darkedge.

knightdog56

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2008
Can you check all the red wires for 5 volts dc on your main 24 pin motherboard connector with a digital volt meter, being very careful ( while the system is running) to see if they read within 5% of 5vdc. That is the voltage that USB uses.

D4rkedge

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012

Thanks for the reply!

I don't have a voltmeter available and my local electronics shop isn't open on Sunday, is there a way to check it via the O/S or any alternative possible solutions?

I will go out tomorrow and buy a voltmeter if needed.

Darkedge.