Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Cpu

Last response: in CPUs
December 22, 2011 2:52:48 PM

I have an older I7-920 on an asus 5290 motherboard. When I run CPUZ, the cpu is rated for 2.67mhz, but is running at 1.75.
How do I get it up to it's rated speed?
Also, though not a heavy gamer, I would like to upgrade. What would you suggest as a decent upgrade in cpu and motherboard?
I am a photographer so I do quite a bit photo editing.
tia
revphelps

More about : cpu

December 22, 2011 9:15:10 PM

sosofm, Thanks for the quick input as to upgrading. An important area I failed to mention was video card. I currently have the older Nvidia GTX 260. Again, what's a decent upgrade, again not for gaming, but rather photo editing?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 22, 2011 9:24:54 PM

try running superpi or similar and looking in cpuz--you will probably find its downclocking when its not under load

you need to look at cpuz when the cpu is busy

the i7-920 is still a very good cpu even by todays standards and if the photo editing software you use can handle multithreading then the 8 cores will help

i think photoshop cs5 and some others can make use of hyperthreading
December 23, 2011 12:21:47 PM

Thanks for the help about the cpu speed.
a c 184 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 23, 2011 3:48:48 PM

You can overclock also! Do you have gpu acceleration enabled in photoshop?
a c 117 à CPUs
a c 112 V Motherboard
December 24, 2011 2:34:17 AM

No need to upgrade the cheapest option is to add more ram and perhaps an ssd.
January 3, 2012 11:26:36 AM

Thanks to those who responded to my questions. Your help saved me from spending some money needlessly.
Ron

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
January 3, 2012 12:19:30 PM

revphelps said:
I have an older I7-920 on an asus 5290 motherboard. When I run CPUZ, the cpu is rated for 2.67mhz, but is running at 1.75.
How do I get it up to it's rated speed?
Also, though not a heavy gamer, I would like to upgrade. What would you suggest as a decent upgrade in cpu and motherboard?
I am a photographer so I do quite a bit photo editing.
tia
revphelps

use high performance power plan in control panel power option. (to solve 1st problem)

i7-920 is not a too old cpu, it is a great cpu for photo editing, NO NEED TO UPGRADE THAT, you will see no performance increase with 2500k. photo editing softwares (like Photoshop) loves extra cores.

well no need to upgrade anything for photo editing

and if you still want to upgrade then
a ssd will help you to load photos (like uncompressed (bmp) photo of large size like 20 mega pixel) faster, and boots window faster, and helps in loading any program faster. So a ssd will be a good choice for a updrade
(not necessary) and a graphics card like nvidia gtx560 or 570 (go for only nvidia)

if you have 4gb of ram then it is more than enough for photo editing , and is enough for gaming too.
January 13, 2012 11:14:14 AM

Best answer selected by revphelps.
!