ASUS P8P67 Deluxe or Sabertooth?

Meinsaft

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
Thanks to the input of you fine gentlemen, I'm almost set on my new build. Looking at:

i5 2500k
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
XFX Radeon HD 6950 2GB GPU
Corsair 850w PSU (I can't remember the exact model, but it's not the modular one)
HAF 912 or 922 (Having a hard time deciding on that as well)
Kingston 64GB SSD
WD Caviar Black 640GB HDD

And this is the hard part; which motherboard do I get? The ASUS P8P67 Deluxe, or the Sabertooth? I've been lurking around for a while trying to find a definitive answer to which is best for the money, but no one seems to have a solid answer. The biggest difference I can see is the Deluxe has two ethernet ports for... god knows what. For my needs, I'm basically looking for something that will last me a good 4-5 years (the Sabertooth has a 5 year warranty), will be upgradable for possible future alterations, and will take two of those 6950s like a champ in about a year.

So, what do you guys think? And with the placement of the PSU on the HAF 912, would I be better suited spending the extra dough and space on a 922 if I'm going to do Crossfire down the road?

ThruSeer

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
Not sure if you want to go w/ a P67 motherboard. Everything I've read lately suggests that Z68 is the way to go, especially because of he SSD cache on a Z68. If so, I don't think there is a Z68 Sabertooth. I know there is a P8Z68 Deluxe, and it was featured in a recent Tom's article on the home page. I've been thinking about it all day. Article suggests that it has higher benchmarks than other boards in the same price range. Plus the P8Z68 has a bluetooth connection which is kind of nice. I'm no expert though, but these suggestions might help you out. I've pretty much decided on the P8Z68.

What's got you set on P67?

Tom's article on Z68 motherboards: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/z68a-gd80-p8z68-deluxe-z68xp-ud5,3025.html

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
If this build is primarily for gaming, you certainly wont need 16GB RAM.

8GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 is plenty and games wont even utilize half of that.

If you want a motherboard that's going to last a good few years, you should probably be looking at a new GEN3 motherboard:

ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 or ASRock Extreme4 Gen3.

Meinsaft

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
I was set on the P67 stuff because a very dear friend of mine, who happens to be an amazing technician with a knack for picking the best parts for builds suggested it to me. And I'm sticking with ASUS because I've heard too many great things about their build quality the past few years. Thanks for linking the article there to the Z68 boards; I'll give it a look over in a minute here.

As far as the ram goes, I was only gonna do eight, but I did intend to go to 16 in about a year, when I also planned on getting a second 6950 for Crossfire, as a means of furthering my investment. As I've said, I want this machine to have no trouble running everything coming out for the next few years. DDR3 is so cheap now, and I don't know if I'll be able to get my hands on the Vengeance ram in a year anyway. So, my logic is, if I have the fifty dollars to just do it now, why wouldn't I?