power/case problems

G

Got a new computer this week. Been having problems with the power button and reset switch on the front of the case. If the computer successfully boots into an OS then shuts down successfully, the power button on the front works (power comes on, motherboard beeps/boots and OS boots). If I have an unsuccessful boot and have to reset the power or hold the power button down for four seconds to turn off the case, the computer will not successfully boot again when the power button is pressed (power/fans comes on, but no bios beep and nothing on the screen). This happens until I pull the power cord out of the back of the case, wait a few seconds until I hear a really quiet electrical 'spin down' noise from inside the power supply, plug it back in and press the power button. Most of the time, the computer will boot properly if I do this.
Whats up?
Anyone had this happen before? It took me a while to figure out the part about holding the powerbutton down for four seconds to turn the case off, but this is...really...weird...?
Couldn't find anything in the MB bios and the case didn't have instructions for the power supply.
I talked to the guys who built the system and they'll try to swap powersupplies, but I hate to have to leave the system with them to troubleshoot if that doesn't work.

Antec KS-288 med tower case with 300W PS
Abit kt7 raid
Athlon 1.1 GHz
Asus v7700(GeForce2) deluxe

MCGTech

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
The 4 sec delay for the power switch is by design and a very good thing.

Other than that, it does sound like you have a defective power supply. Let them swap it out for you. Ask them to give you the specifications.

There is also a chance some other component is "locking up" preventing the system from rebooting until all power is removed. The power is never really off until you unplug or turn off the power supply's switch in the rear.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if there is no power switch in the rear by the power cord, it's probably a cheap unit.