Server build

G

Hey!

Im looking to build a server to offer file sharing(via SFTP) to ~100 users over the internet.

I have ubuntu/OpenSSH setup and now i need a machine to put it on.

Approximate Purchase Date: ASAP

Budget Range: Company is financing, dont want to go insane with the prices but can afford to go high

System Usage from Most to Least Important: User accounts given a 20GB quota which they can backup to.

Parts Not Required: Will be stored in a data-center so everything will be done over SSH

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: none

Country of Origin: Rep. of Ireland

Parts Preferences: No preference.

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: None.

Additional Comments: Will be using RAID 1

rvilkman

Distinguished
Since this seems to be for a commercial grade server solution, I would say try Dell or HP including their warranties, should make life easier for you.

If you do want to build yourself.

Something like:

Case+PSU: 2U+ Rackmount case with 6+ hotswap bays such as: SUPERMICRO CSE-825TQ-R700LPV Silver 2U Rackmount Server Case $599.99
700W redundant PSU, comes with a DVD drive, 8 hotswap bays.

Mobo: SUPERMICRO MBD-X8DAH+-F-O Dual LGA 1366 Intel 5520 Enhanced Extended ATX Dual Intel Xeon 5500 and 5600 Series Server Motherboard $499.99

Leaves the option to add a CPU if needed, several choices in the single CPU ones as well, $200-500 depending on which you choose.

Memory: ingston 24GB (3 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) ECC Registered Server Memory Model KVR1333D3D4R9SK3/24G $286.99

CPU: Intel Xeon E5620 Westmere 2.4GHz LGA 1366 80W Quad-Core Server Processor BX80614E5620 $389.99

Raid card: Adaptec RAID 6805 2271200-R 6Gb/s SATA/SAS 8 internal ports w/ 512MB cache memory Controller Card, Kit $519.99
Supports Raid 6 which is probably what you want to be using in a server like this.

Probably should have a battery backup too, not sure if the raid thing above has it. But the servers should have UPS:es anyway, so it might not be needed.

Comes to about $2300, then need to add HDD's depending on how much storage space you want. 6 for the raid volumes + 2 Raid 1 for OS ( 2 small SSD's for example would work great )

rvilkman

Distinguished
Well it depends on how heavily it is being used. And I did give the first recommendation as to go to the vendors for quotes on the usage.
It will still most likely end up costing 1500-3000 from them.

And obviously you can go lower with the CPU, Mobo and Ram if so desired in the self built system.
Generally though would be nice if the system didn't choke too badly if 50 people do backups etc at the same time.