Dark Comet

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
Hello,

Bought a new build but it BSOD on start up. I've used my old hard drive with windows vista on it just to test it so its not a clean install. The CPU is running at 40c in the Bios so its possible I've not sat the heatsink on it right. Would the CPU reaching its throttle temps cause a BSOD?

Lyden

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
It shouldn't. What was the message on the BSOD? that's probably the most important thing. Also make sure your RAM is in the correct colored slots. Sometimes that can be very confusing as different boards have different layouts.

Dark Comet

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
Checked the RAM its in the right slots. The BSODs are happening when windows is loading. Could it be because its not a clean install? I'll try to take a photo of the BSOD now

teaser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
if you used your old hard drive from another machine,then you will have problems because you dont have the new motherboard drivers installed,your trying to boot the machine with a Hard drive from another machine with a different motherboard,reformat the old hard drive and reinstall your operating system and new motherboard drivers.....

Dark Comet

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
Ok update, when installing windows 7 the install will hang and not do anything. Its done this multiple times now. Do I need to install SATA drivers? I didn't know drivers worked before windows itself was installed. Or could it be something else?

rpenri

Distinguished
May 25, 2010
Win 7 comes with SATA drivers...not like in XP. Most likely it's a configuration setting in the BIOS that isn't set right...

Make sure you have the settings right for your hard drive or set it to AUTO...

Dark Comet

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
Tried installing it again and this time it hanged on windows is finalizing your settings, so I switched the computer off and rebooted it and now its hanging on windows is starting. Gonna try installing windows to another hard drive to see if the problem lies with the SSD.

Dark Comet

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
Installed it on my other hard drive and it worked first time with no issues and all is running fine at the moment. Looks like the SSD is not working correctly. Could damaged sectors on the SSD cause this issue?

Dark Comet

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
It stopped expending files 20% this time. Its an OEM disk and it installed to my other normal sata drive fine so I think its the SSD. Are there's tools to test it?

i think there are tools to test, uhm i know windows has a ChkDsk feature which basically checks all the sectors on the disk, im pretty sure they have a checking program on the manufacturers website.

Dark Comet

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
I can't seem to find any (http://www.corsair.com/ssd/force-series-gt-ssd/force-series-gt-120gb-sata-3-6gbps-solid-state-hard-drive.html). I'll try chkdsk in a second though if I can get it to show up in my computer

Dark Comet

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
I did it and it said "Some problems were found and fixed" If they were bad sectors it would not have been able to fix them so I doubt it was that.

SSD life says the health of the SSD is excellent : /

Dark Comet

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
Doing that now. Reading around some people are saying that you should use a program called secure erase between installs and one guy said his SSD hung on the install for 20 minutes then suddenly continued and finished so maybe I need to give it more time. Its just I thought that if it got past that part last time within a second then why does it need 20 minutes the next time...

Dark Comet

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
The quick check worked fine with no problems, however the program stops responding for the normal check :(
It seems to be stopping in the same place too

EDIT: It seems to have got past that part now, no errors at this point.

TRENDING THREADS