Trying to upgrade PC Graphic card, need some advice

torytorydor

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
Hello everyone, I'm Looking to upgrate my computer's graphic card, I've chose the XFX ATI HD 5570. I have afew questions regarding this issue, but first let me post my computers Specs :

I'm Currently running on a Packard Bell computer.

Model : GA-T671MG
Processor : Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 ( LGA 775 Socket @ 2.20GHz)

My current graphic card is NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE ( Core 450MHz, Memory 532 MHz )

I've used CPU-Z to obtain these informations. Apparently the current graphic card I have is a NVIDIA & I'd like to know if I could change it into a ATI graphic card which is the XFX ATI HD 5570.
I know theres many other good graphic cards out there, But I'd like to try an ATI one.

Looking forward to an answer, Thanks in Advance.

HMRkingpin

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
you can use an ati card. Just make sure you use a fresh os install or driver sweeper to get rid of the old nvidia drivers. Also make sure the 5570 is the right slot specification. I could not find much on your computer. from the specs I found, it looks like it does not have a pci-e slot and only has 1 agp slot and 2 pci slots. You may want to check any documentation you have to be correct. If it does not support pci-e than your will not be able to use a 5570 unless someone makes an agp version, which I doubt. The AGP slot on your board is your graphics slot. The best card I could find for an agp slot is an ATI 4670 for 120 bucks. If your going to do light gaming or gaming on low settings, a 4650 or 4670 should do all right. If you want to play modern games on nice settings your gonna need a new computer with a nice card.

torytorydor

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
Thanks for the Quick reply, I forgot to mention 1 thing ><" my previous card or uh Original graphic card should I say was a GeForce 8400 GS, but I Swapped to the old one GeForce 7300 LE because the original one Broke down.

May I Know how do I check if I have a pci-E slot or an agp slot?

Thanks in Advance!

torytorydor

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
Ops I've missed this out, I found it! my motherboard do support PCI-E, its detailed on CPU-Z mainboard tab, in the graphics interface section the version says PCI-EXPRESS, Link width x8, Max supported x16.

That means that the 5570 would work on my mobo right?

One last question, I'm living in europe and the XFX ATI HD 5570 1Gb DDR2 costs ~49 Euro, would it be better if I took the XFX ATI Radeon HD 5670 1Gb DDR3 for afew bucks more? it costs 54 euroes, the difference is very little, I'd like to know which one will be a better choice, Thanks in Advance.

Seems that it is hard to find specifications for your motherboard. I did however find a picture;
B5218.jpg

It does indeed show that the board has a PCI-E x16 slot which is good. Your motherboard is old however and the slot is likely 1.0. 1.0 slots sometimes have issues with PCI-E 2.1 cards so you should stick with cards that are 2.0. I believe all HD5570 are 2.1 so yes you will want the HD5670 instead(it would have been a good idea anyway.) Just make sure you get a model of the card that is 2.0 rather than 2.1 which shouldn't be hard to do.

Yes, there are a lot of 2.0 HD5670s. Also you mention the card you are looking at is DDR3. A DDR5 model would be a better choice if you can afford it.
If you are shopping online give us a link to the store and tell us your budget and we can make suggestions. Where are you located exactly?

torytorydor

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
The website doesnt matters, as long as it support europe / france Shipment then its good to go :D, is that Sapphire Radeon HD 5670 a good choice? xD

torytorydor

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
Cool! Thanks alot jyjjy thats been a Great help and I have learnt much again xD, I'd like to do more research, may I know how to check out what PCI bus do I have like 2.0 or 2.1? could it be written on the motherboard?