Status
Not open for further replies.

freshbuilder

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
Okay after some much thought and consideration I finally gave in and plan on buying the i5 2500k instead of the i7 2600k. Problem is i have this minor tiny question regarding to its purchase. I was looking up on my local online store for it and it says that its "unlocked" i have no idea what that means, should I get the so called unlocked unit or not?

Please give me a run down on the benefits of being unlocked or not. And what the hell is turbo boost mode?

Solution
Hi and welcome to Tom's forum

1) How is the frequency calculated? Your CPU frequency is determinate by the reference clock (100) multiplied by something called "multiplier" (33), that gives you the stock frequency (3.3GHz) of the i5-2500 and i5-2500k

2) Overclock: Change the settings and specs of your CPU, GPU or RAM to get better performance above the manufacturer specs

3) Unlocked: An unlocked CPU means that you can change the "multiplier" for rise or down the frequency of the CPU, so, in an example if you keep the reference clock at 100 and rise the multiplier to 40 your new CPU frequency will be 4GHz, which means better performance for same price

4) Locked: Means that CPU is locked multiplier, so, you can't change the CPU...
Hi and welcome to Tom's forum

1) How is the frequency calculated? Your CPU frequency is determinate by the reference clock (100) multiplied by something called "multiplier" (33), that gives you the stock frequency (3.3GHz) of the i5-2500 and i5-2500k

2) Overclock: Change the settings and specs of your CPU, GPU or RAM to get better performance above the manufacturer specs

3) Unlocked: An unlocked CPU means that you can change the "multiplier" for rise or down the frequency of the CPU, so, in an example if you keep the reference clock at 100 and rise the multiplier to 40 your new CPU frequency will be 4GHz, which means better performance for same price

4) Locked: Means that CPU is locked multiplier, so, you can't change the CPU frequency more that ~10%

5) Turbo Boost: It's an "Auto overclock" option that change the multiplier of your CPU for rise the frequency when the rig is on full load.

Solution

All have turbo boost, which is a slight overclock when only some cores are used. The unlocked edition CPU makes it so that you can manually overclock. So, there is a 2500, and a 2500k which both have turbo boost, but, with the 2500k you can overclock your base frequency. On a 2500k with good cooling, moherboard, memory, and PSU, I have heard of people reaching over 5Ghz. Basically, if you want to overclock, grab a 2500k, if you want to stay @ stock settings, grab a 2500.

Status
Not open for further replies.