Is my diagnosis correct? (dead motherboard)

watwat_01

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012
a few days, for no reason (no modification on my part) my PC stopped working. when I'm turning it on the fans start to run, the green "on" led lights up but there are no beeps and the screen is blank (not even the small white thing from the old days).

I tried swapping the video card and RAM sticks, all the wires are connected tightly.

I don't know how to check the CPU itself.

right now I'm thinking about ordering a new motherboard, I'm just not sure it's the source of the problem, are there any other steps I can take to affirm the diagnosis? might it be a problem with the CPU?

JJ1217

Honorable
Take out the GPU completely, and make sure the PSU cable is correctly in. See if its a GPU problem. Can you give us your GPU and CPU and PSU? Lets see if you actually have a good enough Power Supply to run this build.

Instead of swapping out the ram sticks, try a different channel.

~JJ1217

watwat_01

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012
I tried different channels (for RAM) and got the same result.

there is no removable GPU on the motherboard, without the graphics card the situation stays the same (no beeping, just the green "on" led and fans running).

as for the models, the motherboard is a msi ms-7528 1.0
PSU: EZcool atx-300 jsp socket 775 real 300W
for graphics I tried both GeForce 8400GS 256MB and a 7300GT 512MB
I can't recall the CPU's model though it's as old as the rest of the setup (I think it's a quad core?).

It's an old bunch of components and ran well for the past few years.

btw the screen isn't just "blank", the screen's led is blinking as if it isn't connected to a machine (the monitor works with other machines).

JJ1217

Honorable
Could just be the natural death of a computer. Do you have another computer? I would to recommend trying different components in different computers, to single out a non working part.

Leave the CPU in your motherboard, and then just take the GPU out of it, and plug it in another computer. See if it boots. Then get another PSU, and take it to your old computer.. Plug it in (Don't screw it in first, just see if it boots up). Chances are that PSU has given up, especially if its old, it probably doesn't give 300W anymore.

bobotiti

Honorable
Aug 27, 2012

Suppose your PSU , RAM and GPU are normal.
Remove all power and data cables from peripherals like:HDD,CD/DVD,FDD (if any).The CPU is onboard(of course,it's hard to be failed).
Turn on power.If your computer cannot enter DOS screen(black screen with text),the mb is failed most of the time.

TRENDING THREADS