Sign in with
Your question

Computer wont turn on after putting in graphics card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 21, 2011 9:55:20 PM

I'ts a long story but I needed to try my PCI-E graphics card (9800gt) in another computer. I unplugged the power supply. unplugged all usbs, put in my graphics card, which is when i realised that there is no PCI-E cable. So i took out the card, plugged everything in and it wont boot up! There is signal, i hear the fans and see the light on the speakers, but the screen stays blanck. There are no beeps.( i think there is no graphics card in the computer originally, it is just run by the motherboards graphics i think) Any help would be much appreciated
July 21, 2011 10:25:19 PM

Sounds like something didn't get fully re-connected when you put the GPU back in.
Related resources
a c 376 U Graphics card
July 21, 2011 10:45:31 PM

I would try resetting the BIOS. You can usually do so with a jumper somewhere on the motherboard.
a b U Graphics card
July 22, 2011 5:09:14 AM

You may have a conflict with the on board graphics chip and the 9800 gt card you put in.
What you will need to do is take the card out then if it boots up right get into the bios by pressing the delete key.
What you need to do is then disable the on board graphics chip, then set the primary video to PCI-E.
also make sure that the 12v atx for the cpu ect is connected to the board from the PSU its a four pin two black, yellow.
The only other thing i can think of is it may be related to the PSU in other words there are not enough amps to run the card as well as the system from the 12v rails, so it would sort of do what your saying it does. check the amp total of the 12v rail/rails.
a b U Graphics card
July 22, 2011 6:22:26 AM

it is not booting up AFTER the card came out according to OP

try taking out the motherboard batter with the tower unplugged
wait a minute and put battery back in
and try powering on

that will reset BIOS
July 22, 2011 8:03:58 AM

cmichael138 said:
Sounds like something didn't get fully re-connected when you put the GPU back in.

Well the only things i disconnected were was the AC power supply, the usbs, the vga, the WLAN card (I put it into a different slot so that the video card would fit), and thats all. Right now I have the AC power supply connected,the vga, the usbs, the WLAN( It should work without the WLAN) and everything else was not even touched
July 22, 2011 8:32:56 AM

Thank you everyone for the replies, but what happened was I woke up and it started to work...? Some how over night??? This is not important but just out of interest does anyone understand how that could of happened?
a b U Graphics card
July 22, 2011 3:01:32 PM

Gremlins...
a b U Graphics card
July 22, 2011 7:42:43 PM

I agree
Gremlins
famous for taking out planes in WWII
been haunting machinery since the beginning of the Industrial Revolution
!