MetaDragon

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
Well i hear and read a lot of horror stories about how people have updated or "Flashed" their BIOS's and it ends up crashing their computer. But i also know that updating it fixes bugs and issues.

So i guess my question is: As a newb to computers should i just never bother updating it?

Is updating the BIOS safe?

Are the horror stories about them true still today?

Solution
Updating a BIOS always has some slight risk factor but if done properly, then yes it most definitely can resolve some operational issues. Most mobo makes tell you NOT to update the BIOS unless you have an issue. This is because there is always a slight risk you could have an issue and need to send your mobo back for repairs.

beenthere

Distinguished
Updating a BIOS always has some slight risk factor but if done properly, then yes it most definitely can resolve some operational issues. Most mobo makes tell you NOT to update the BIOS unless you have an issue. This is because there is always a slight risk you could have an issue and need to send your mobo back for repairs.

Solution

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
Only updating dual-bios's are completely safe usually any mobo made by an aftermarket manufacturer has this such as Asus, gigabyte, and evga to name a few. Otherwise if its a crappy manufacturer which only has one bios flashed, you may be screwed if you update your bios.

Key point is only upgrade your bios if you absolutely need it, otherwise dont for it may brick your computer.

MetaDragon

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

Ok, i see the risks.

Also, thank you very much for answering a lot of my questions. I know i've seen you answer a few of mine. Lol ;)

Anyway, you are very helpful. I just hope my questions aren't annoying you.

MetaDragon

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

Well i figured that i would just ask. I want to make sure my comp is completely update with the latest software. But like you said, mobo is okay without an update.