Fan Failed?

Superoswald

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
I have just finished upgrading an old system. When I boot, it says something like this:

System fan failed
Service PC to prevent damage to components
Press F2 to continue...

All the fans in the case are spinning fine, and when I press F2 my pc becomes normal again. It's annoying though, and I would like to know what the problem is.
I've checked everythig that could cause this problem:
All mothorboard fan slots are connected to a fan
All fans are working fine
There is proper ventilation where the PC is
My components are not overheating

I have a HP p6218f with a OCZ ModXStream 600W and a GTX 560ti in a NZXT Pahntom 410 case. I have removed much of the stock componenets and replaced them with better things.

What is the fix for this problem?

Solution
Unless one of the sys fans is momentarily stopping/re-starting so fast you can't detect it with the eye, the problem may be the board or BIOS faulting. Unplugg the sys fans one at a time and see which one is triggering the msg. Then swap them with the SYS fan headers and see if the same fan or the same header is causing the error msg.

Of course, you could always connect the fans directly to the PSU's Molex connectors if the board is the issue.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Unless one of the sys fans is momentarily stopping/re-starting so fast you can't detect it with the eye, the problem may be the board or BIOS faulting. Unplugg the sys fans one at a time and see which one is triggering the msg. Then swap them with the SYS fan headers and see if the same fan or the same header is causing the error msg.

Of course, you could always connect the fans directly to the PSU's Molex connectors if the board is the issue.

Solution
check that the cpu fan is on the right header and that is moving. if it a new fan it may be starting up a few sec slower then the old fan giving a false reading. some older mb had fan time out that you could set. if your does not check to see if there a mb update. a patch might fix the error. most mb you can turn off that message but if the fan does stop...melted cpu. one thing also to check make sure no wires can be sucked into the fan.

Superoswald

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012

I pulled out each fan like you said and it turned out that I had a faulty fan. I got a new 120mm and that solved my problem. Thanks!