Sign in with
Your question
Closed

So... what games can a Pentium 4 run?

Last response: in CPUs
December 23, 2011 2:26:04 AM

My dad recently bought a used computer with a Pentium 4 3.4 ghz processor. It's not exactly a modern computer but it did come with some nice things like 3 gb of RAM. I was thinking about getting my dad an ATI Radeon 5670 card for Christmas, but to be honest, I'm not sure if it's even worth upgrading this computer's graphics card. Will this processor even let the computer run modern games? (I mean it's a single core processor...)

If not, well, a Sandy Bridge Pentium and a mobo would be the perfect gift this season!

More about : games pentium run

December 23, 2011 2:34:39 AM

Ah... jeez that sucks.
Score
December 23, 2011 2:38:34 AM

Is there really no hope for this thing?
Score
Related resources
December 23, 2011 2:41:01 AM

Fair enough thanks for your help! Looks like my dad is getting a new Pentium xD! Or maybe I can force him to build an i5 if I chip in...
Score
December 23, 2011 2:41:15 AM

Best answer selected by Encendi.
Score
a c 87 à CPUs
December 23, 2011 2:47:28 AM

Depends on what your dad likes to play. Sims? Its fine. Valve games like HL2 and TF2? Again, fine. Crysis, Metro, etc are lost causes, though I'm sure some of the more modern shooters will be fine.

Does he have a PCIe slot? I suspect yes because of the 3GBs of ram. If the board is a 945 or newer he might be able to run a C2D CPU which will greatly improve his gaming experience.
Score
December 23, 2011 2:52:56 AM

Interesting- definitely not Metro xD but something like HL2 would be quite good. I'll look into the mobo, although I'm afraid of what I'll find. Went best answer too soon -sorry :( - but I appreciate the help from both of you.
Score
a c 87 à CPUs
December 23, 2011 2:58:17 AM

I was only trying to point out that not everyone is into the latest and greatest. If your dads idea of playing games doesn't depend on the newest stuff out there, then he'll be fine. And if you can put a newer dual core in there, then his odds of playing are even better.
Score
December 23, 2011 3:06:33 AM

You have a good point. I guess I was thinking in terms of my addiction to Battlefield 3 and Skyrim.

Took a look at the mobo. No go for the dual cores I'm afraid. Guess I'll have to think of another gift. Darn.
Score
!