Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Monitors
  • HDMI
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 22, 2011 12:43:56 AM

Hello guys,

I have recently bought a new monitor, Samsung S24A350H and I begin facing the following issue. Previously, my monitor supports DVI signal, so I did not have much of a problem. However, this new monitor only supports VGA / HDMI. Most of the time, while gaming through HDMI, the screen would either go black for 2 seconds (not constantly, just once in a while it would act up) or would flicker a few times, like the monitor has suddenly lost signal. I have also experienced the said phenomenon a few times (not often) while not gaming.

What could be the possible culprit? Monitor? HDMI cable?

Btw, HDMI cable was given by the reseller for free, I suppose it's a poor quality one.

Here's my specs:

AMD Phenom II x4 955 @ stock
Sapphire Radeon HD6850 Toxic
8GB of HyperX RAM
Xigmatek 750W PSU

Edit: I'm currently running Catalyst 11.4

More about : radeon 6850 hdmi issue

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 22, 2011 4:07:09 AM

Try a different cable first.
July 22, 2011 4:19:04 AM

I agree with runswindows95 i have a 6850 with a 25 ft hdmi to tv (lol) and it works fine.
Score
Related resources
July 22, 2011 7:33:27 AM

Yea, I was thinking it's due to the cable too. However, my research led me to believe otherwise. People on other forums say HDMI transmits digital signals, so it will either work or don't work at all. Oh well, I'm gonna go get a better quality cable tonight just to be sure.
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 22, 2011 10:10:37 AM

alikum said:
Yea, I was thinking it's due to the cable too. However, my research led me to believe otherwise. People on other forums say HDMI transmits digital signals, so it will either work or don't work at all. Oh well, I'm gonna go get a better quality cable tonight just to be sure.

1. Go to CCC and reset everything to Factory Default. If this does not fix the problem, try #2.
2. The monitor must have a VGA cable & your video card should have a DVI->VGA adaptor. Try to connect your monitor via the VGA cable. Do not worry about any loss of quality by going analog. At 1920x1080 VGA is fine. I myself find VGA connection less problematic and smoother than HDMI. And if you connect your PC to your monitor via VGA, you free up the HDMI port for media players/Bluray/DVD if you have them.

By the way, very nice monitor. Hope everything works fine.
Score
July 22, 2011 3:15:52 PM

randomkid said:
1. Go to CCC and reset everything to Factory Default. If this does not fix the problem, try #2.
2. The monitor must have a VGA cable & your video card should have a DVI->VGA adaptor. Try to connect your monitor via the VGA cable. Do not worry about any loss of quality by going analog. At 1920x1080 VGA is fine. I myself find VGA connection less problematic and smoother than HDMI. And if you connect your PC to your monitor via VGA, you free up the HDMI port for media players/Bluray/DVD if you have them.

By the way, very nice monitor. Hope everything works fine.

I'll try that tomorrow. Hopefully I get positive results. Anyway, thanks. Will return in a day or 2.
Score
July 24, 2011 12:27:18 AM

Hello everyone, changing to another HDMI cable seems to have done the trick. Cheers.
Score
July 24, 2011 12:27:51 AM

Best answer selected by alikum.
Score
a c 273 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 24, 2011 12:30:34 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!