Record HD TV Tuner

Status
Not open for further replies.

timothy2180

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
I saw this review on Newegg, for this.

Pros: I bought this unit to watch TV on my HTPC. The installation was easy. The software was pretty good. I used Windows Media Center instead of WinTV. Recording features are nice. If all you're going to watch is SD television and record shows, then definetly get this card.

Cons: Does not play HD. Cannot record in HD. I needed to decode encrypted QAM singlas from the cable company, so I had to plug my set-top box into the card... even then, I didn't get a HD picture because I had to use COAX in.

Other Thoughts: Like I said, if you want to play SD stuff and you don't care about HD, then this is for you. Id rather watch sports in HD, personally.

So, what exactly do I need to be able to record HD? 1080p.

p.s. Sorry for making another topic here, but I figured it was more appropriate than going off topic in my other thread.

Thanks.

Solution
As long as your cable company provides cablecard M-Cards, it should work universally (of course, the system it's getting installed on has to be up to specs).

Here's the home page for Ceton Corp: http://cetoncorp.com/ so you can read up on them for your self.

Which device you get should really depend on what your recording needs are. My Ceton card (which I love) can record up to four programs simultaneously (or three programs simultaneously while I watch the fourth). I seriously doubt that I'll even need such functionality, but on the odd chance I do, it's nice to know that I'm covered. Also, it was the only option available when I was ready to purchase.

If you're absolutely certain that you'll never need to record more than one...

timothy2180

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011

You almost have me sold on the Ceton card. What would I need to check with my cable company to make sure it would work for me? Or should it work universally with all cable companies?

Thank you very much for your help!

Wolfshadw

Titan
As long as your cable company provides cablecard M-Cards, it should work universally (of course, the system it's getting installed on has to be up to specs).

Here's the home page for Ceton Corp: http://cetoncorp.com/ so you can read up on them for your self.

Which device you get should really depend on what your recording needs are. My Ceton card (which I love) can record up to four programs simultaneously (or three programs simultaneously while I watch the fourth). I seriously doubt that I'll even need such functionality, but on the odd chance I do, it's nice to know that I'm covered. Also, it was the only option available when I was ready to purchase.

If you're absolutely certain that you'll never need to record more than one channel at a time, I don't see any reason to go with more than the Hauppauge solution (two tuners) and save a couple hundred dollars.

If you're absolutely certain that you'll never need to record more than two channels at a time, I don't see any reason to go with more than the SiliconDust solution (three tuners) and save some over the Ceton Card.

I will say this about Ceton Corp. These people have really done their homework and put out a quality product. They worked with the FCC and know how to get cable companies to get on board (they don't have a choice if they offer cablecards). I've not needed to use it, but I understand their customer support is top notch.

-Wolf sends

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.