ASRock Z77 Extreme - Good Buy?

rancineb

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2012
I'm working on a new build and looking to buy either the ASRock Z77 Extreme4 or Extreme6. They got good reviews on NewEgg but I've never gotten an ASRock motherboard before. Are these good and reliable? Anyone have any issues with these?

Thanks!

rancineb

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2012
Why did you give up on ASRock? What issues did you have? I'm trying to determine if I should go with ASRock or get something else like Asus.

rancineb

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2012
And I'm not too concerned about price. Looking for quality. I won't spend $300 on a motherboard, but 30-50 isn't a big deal when you're building a system over $1000.

proffet

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
ASUS but they cost more..

I have had three ASRock boards, all different series.
on AMD and two Intel.
to me they are starting to feel cheap to me when I look at them now and the last was a lower H61 board but still..
two of them had VRM problems.
I run ASUS boards now but MSi (Intel) boards from the G45-55 models and up seem to do very well.

Ironslice

Honorable
May 1, 2012
The ASRock Z77 Extreme4 is a great board. ASRock used to be a more problematic company, but they've gotten so much better now; one of the best.

rancineb

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2012
I've had Asus boards in the past, but saw a lot of good reviews and popularity for ASRock on newegg which is why I was looking in that direction. I definitely don't want cheap. I'm willing to pay a few bucks more for quality so maybe Asus is the route I should look. I'm getting an Intel i7 processor. Should I look at getting a Z77 motherboard? I don't do a lot of overclocking or such, but not sure about the different options for motherboard types.

Well the main thing Z77 in itself gets you over eg. H77 is overclocking, but maybe some of the other features on the more expensive boards may appeal to you - and the more expensive boards tend to be Z77 anyway.

But it all depends on what you're going to use the system for.

proffet

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
I just got my board RMA'd back from ASRock on Friday.
listed it on eBay as soon as I got it.
ASRock Z68Pro3-M.

I looked at all the ASRock boards and read reviews, still not going back and not impressed.
and the painted gold caps is the worse..

my opinions of course.

here's a few links:
http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Roundups/Intel_Z77_Motherboards/
http://www.techspot.com/guides/502-intel-ivy-bridge/page3.html

http://news.softpedia.com/newsImage/Intel-Ivy-Bridge-Chipsets-Detailed-Includes-Z77-Z75-and-H77-Consumer-Models-4.jpg/

rancineb

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2012
One of the things I'm looking for is a computer that can stand the test of time (yes I know, very funny).

I'll probably go with either a Z77 or H77 depending on which board has the best features. I know there are so many options which is why I like to get the best quality maker and then narrow down their selection.

proffet

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
if not going to overclock then the H77 board.
if not sure about overclocking then be safe and get the Z77 board.
overclocking a K series chip is one of the easiest things to do.
and with the Z board you can also set your RAM to run faster than the 1333MHz of SB or the 1600MHz of IB if you wish.

it's better to have the power and not need it then it is to need or want the power and not have it..
(future-proofing..)