Sign in with
Your question

Corsair vs. G.Skill

Last response: in Memory
October 7, 2012 9:35:49 PM

I'm working on a new build and have always bought Corsair memory in the past. I was looking around newegg and saw that there's memory by G.Skill that looks to be very popular and get great reviews. Is this a new company that's come out and produces great memory, or did I just never hear about them before. Is there any advantage to go with one or the other?

~Brian

More about : corsair skill

October 8, 2012 12:47:26 AM

yes both companies are good manufacturers of rams
you cant go wrong with either of the two
a b } Memory
October 8, 2012 1:11:16 AM

Agree with gene 11 both quality assurance either way i say buy the ones that are cheaper or that you prefer the looks
Related resources
October 8, 2012 1:15:44 AM

Corsair and G.Skill along with Crucial and maybe also Kingston are generally the best memory brands. I just go for the cheapest kit that suits my needs.
a b } Memory
October 8, 2012 1:15:44 AM

ram in general is essentially preference. some people like corsair, others like g.skill. but the other competitors aren't as bad either. Ram is one sector where the competition gaps aren't as big.

worrying about profile size is probably more important than brand to most people.
a b } Memory
October 8, 2012 1:16:27 AM

G.Skill International Enterprise Co., Ltd. is a Taiwanese computer hardware manufacturing company. The company's main target is the overclocking community and produces a variety of products, particularly memory.Based in Taiwan, the G.Skill corporation was established in 1989 by a group of computer enthusiasts. In 2003, the company debuted as a maker of computer memory. The company currently operates through several distributors and resellers in North America, Europe, Asia, and the Middle East.
October 8, 2012 1:31:22 AM

Thanks for the info everyone. I'll probably choose between the two based on which is cheaper at the time I purchase the rest of my components.
a b } Memory
October 8, 2012 1:37:22 AM

Sounds like a good plan.Your very welcome and good luck!
October 8, 2012 1:41:44 AM

You're on the right track; you're welcome!
October 8, 2012 1:46:41 AM

I do like the comment about getting the memory that looks good. The case I'm getting will have a red LED fan so maybe I want to get the G.Skill memory since it's red :-)
May 18, 2013 9:18:08 AM

For me G-Skill. Much less to choose from with all having good specs.
May 19, 2013 12:44:34 PM

rancineb said:
I do like the comment about getting the memory that looks good. The case I'm getting will have a red LED fan so maybe I want to get the G.Skill memory since it's red :-)

corsair also has red memory sticks. Literally dude.. its mainly the price and to some extent the design/colours that decides choosing ram. ram speeds are not that important. so just buy the one you like and the cheapest one at the time of your purchase and you will be happy.
a c 115 } Memory
May 20, 2013 10:53:01 AM

G.Skill has been around for quite some time specializing in enthusiast, high speed RAM. For those that are not familiar with gaming/overclocking RAM, G.Skill may be less known, but once you find out and try, you won't want anything else like thiduck said.

Top quality RAM, top specifications, top performance, top design, top service, top support, top price. That's what we strive for so hopefully you will experience that if you purchase G.Skill.

Thank you
GSKILL SUPPORT

a b } Memory
May 20, 2013 2:18:19 PM

It does not really matter which one you choose. Neither actually manufacture the memory they make, they just re-brand and market so you buy their product.

In the end they probably have the same components underneath the heat-sink. Choose the one company that has best support basically, ram is ram. For the standard user you don't even need heat-spreaders too.

Choose low-profile memory with good timings at the best price you can find from either company that matches your system visually.

So basically, either are good, and it's just marketing.
a c 115 } Memory
May 20, 2013 3:03:26 PM

G.Skill does manufacture G.Skill RAM. We do not remove stickers and place G.Skill stickers on them to resell. It is not possible with G.Skill RAM. We sell performance RAM with specifications that are non-standard and can not be found pre-made from another manufacturer.

G.Skill may use IC chips from another manufacturer, but the ICs are all tested/sorted by G.Skill then matched with proper PCB boards. Once built into a DRAM full module, they are re-tested to reach the designed/target rated specifications for perfect matching and stability.

You may see the same brand IC chips being used with many different companies, but understand there are many different qualities as well. Different tiers, which is why you can find the same exact model IC chips and some will overclock higher than others. Some brands like G.Skill choose to use the best quality chips so their user can overclock if desired to achieve good result, some other brands choose to use lower price and quality chips to maximize profit since the RAM can still work to basic specifications.

If it's "just marketing" and replacing stickers, there would be many, many more brands of RAM that you can't even imagine.

Thank you
GSKILL SUPPORT
a b } Memory
May 20, 2013 3:29:04 PM

Well, maybe I was vague in my last post.

You don't actually make the integrated circuits(which is made by companies like Micron, Elpidia, Samsung, etc) for your memory which is the an extremely crucial part as you know, and obviously and helps determine the quality of said product.

A lot of it is marketing though. For 95% of computer users it won't matter to them which IC is being used as any memory with decent IC will suffice for them.

Not to say your products are bad, but I do highly recommend them to people among a few other brands.
May 21, 2013 6:02:52 AM

In short.
I had a 4 gig G.Skill ...(F3-12800CL9S-4GBXL) to be exact. My friend have Corsair and there main problem is that they don't know what to choose.(Some are good, some are just *****). I thought 1600 clck speed was good. Now I had added another 4 gig.
Mine easily beats my friends corsair.
And there is a DIMM for even 1899 Mhz or something with 4 x 2 (8 gig combo) and that is incredibly awesome for some $100. I cannot recommend it enough.
Like I said, In g-skill you don't really have lower end rams, even the bottom of the array is pretty awesome.
(G-skill customer support guy might be able to help you on the Higher clock speed ram I said).
a b } Memory
May 21, 2013 2:10:24 PM

thiduck said:
In short.
I had a 4 gig G.Skill ...(F3-12800CL9S-4GBXL) to be exact. My friend have Corsair and there main problem is that they don't know what to choose.(Some are good, some are just *****). I thought 1600 clck speed was good. Now I had added another 4 gig.
And there is a DIMM for even 1899 Mhz or something with 4 x 2 (8 gig combo) and that is incredibly awesome for some $100. I cannot recommend it enough.
Like I said, In g-skill you don't really have lower end rams, even the bottom of the array is pretty awesome.
(G-skill customer support guy might be able to help you on the Higher clock speed ram I said).

100 dollars for 8GB of memory is to much?

A good deal right here are these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Anything over 1600mhz with good timings in the real world is not going to help very much, if at all, in benchmarks it may, with an integrated GPU sure, but 1600mhz is optimal.
May 21, 2013 10:20:36 PM

edogawa said:
thiduck said:
In short.

100 dollars for 8GB of memory is to much?

A good deal right here are these:

Anything over 1600mhz with good timings in the real world is not going to help very much, if at all, in benchmarks it may, with an integrated GPU sure, but 1600mhz is optimal.

True. I did give other options. I even mentioned the model - F3- 128 blah blah.
You can stick with that that is 1600 only.
And it is 100$ after import duty, customs and stuff where i live.
You can pretty much get that thing for much less.
(GEological restrictions :(  )
a b } Memory
May 21, 2013 11:47:53 PM

I can only imagine the prices on stuff for people not living in the U.S., it's gotta suck.
May 22, 2013 4:18:30 AM

edogawa said:
I can only imagine the prices on stuff for people not living in the U.S., it's gotta suck.

I am even willing to pay...But some are not even available. Like we have no native company manufacturing mechanical keyboard.(CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS)
So I have to pay around 250$ for corsair k60.
Intel and samsung have pretty good prices though. Same as everywhere.
(And we are deviating off the topic. So I will stop my whining which is out of my control and you must understand is natural) :( 
a b } Memory
May 22, 2013 11:12:59 AM

thiduck said:
edogawa said:

I am even willing to pay...But some are not even available. Like we have no native company manufacturing mechanical keyboard.(CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS)
(And we are deviating off the topic. So I will stop my whining which is out of my control and you must understand is natural) :( 

mechanical keyboards in general are a minority. Even in the U.S, the best of the mechanical keyboards need to be imported. The better OEMs tend to be the asian ones.
May 29, 2013 2:29:37 AM

dudewitbow said:
thiduck said:
edogawa said:

mechanical keyboards in general are a minority. Even in the U.S, the best of the mechanical keyboards need to be imported. The better OEMs tend to be the asian ones.

Asians? If you come here you will have a hard time find out any...:( 
Also, all we have are cheap model and EVERYTHING and believe me when I say EVERY MECH KEYBOARD here use only BLACK keys. NO OTHER OPTIONS AVAILABLE :??: 
June 1, 2013 1:23:25 AM

I recommend GSKILL. Here's why:

I bought some used GSKILL memory from e-bay.de. The person who sold it to me told me that it's working okay, however, when I received the memory I discovered that one of the RAM sticks was out of order. These 2 kits (4 sticks) of memory had been bought by the other person back in 2009 but it was genuine GSKILL memory and had a lifetime warranty.

So, I RMA'd the memory (I live in Europe). GSKILL didn't ask for proof of purchase or receipt, and even though it was RAM made back in 2009 they never said "Oops sorry we don't make this memory anymore so we can't replace it for you and you can shove it up yours". GSKILL's Service EU, located in the Netherlands, replaced the kit with the defective RAM module ON THE SAME DAY THEY RECEIVED IT and mailed it back to me using a respectable courrier service. It took the kit only 6 days to arrive here in Greece from the Netherlands.

When I received the kit, I saw that GSKILL had sent me a brand new kit of TRIDENT HIGH PERFORMANCE MEMORY, same specs with my defective kit, but made in December 2012. I got brand new, mint, high performance memory 100% free. I didn't even pay for the shipping expenses.

Take a moment and think carefully what's gonna happen if your memory fails. Will they replace it for you? Will they replace it with brand new RAM or are they gonna send you "refurbished" memory? Will they ask you for proof of purchase to try and evade their warranty? GSKILL did neither of those and really stood by the customer with respect, and this is why I am going to buy nothing else but GSKILL from now on.

Picture of my brand new RAM modules:

June 1, 2013 7:58:12 AM

Achaios said:
I recommend GSKILL. Here's why:

I bought some used GSKILL memory from e-bay.de. The person who sold it to me told me that it's working okay, however, when I received the memory I discovered that one of the RAM sticks was out of order. These 2 kits (4 sticks) of memory had been bought by the other person back in 2009 but it was genuine GSKILL memory and had a lifetime warranty.

So, I RMA'd the memory (I live in Europe). GSKILL didn't ask for proof of purchase or receipt, and even though it was RAM made back in 2009 they never said "Oops sorry we don't make this memory anymore so we can't replace it for you and you can shove it up yours". GSKILL's Service EU, located in the Netherlands, replaced the kit with the defective RAM module ON THE SAME DAY THEY RECEIVED IT and mailed it back to me using a respectable courrier service. It took the kit only 6 days to arrive here in Greece from the Netherlands.

When I received the kit, I saw that GSKILL had sent me a brand new kit of TRIDENT HIGH PERFORMANCE MEMORY, same specs with my defective kit, but made in December 2012. I got brand new, mint, high performance memory 100% free. I didn't even pay for the shipping expenses.

Take a moment and think carefully what's gonna happen if your memory fails. Will they replace it for you? Will they replace it with brand new RAM or are they gonna send you "refurbished" memory? Will they ask you for proof of purchase to try and evade their warranty? GSKILL did neither of those and really stood by the customer with respect, and this is why I am going to buy nothing else but GSKILL from now on.

Picture of my brand new RAM modules:

Make sure to blur out all the codes and yep I recommend G.Skill too.
Lifetime warranty baby.
June 1, 2013 8:26:20 AM

thiduck said:

Make sure to blur out all the codes and yep I recommend G.Skill too.
Lifetime warranty baby.

Done.
!