Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Unlocking cores will increase the performance???

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Performance
  • Games
Last response: in CPUs
December 23, 2011 8:44:41 AM

i have a question...if i unlock the amd 2 x2 phenom 560be to 3-4 cores will it increase the performance in "GAMING"?......another question in pc games..for example left 4 dead ,there are many zombies they surrounded you then the game lags because there are many zombies what cause the lags? is it lack of Clock speed or cores or graphic card????

More about : unlocking cores increase performance

a c 97 à CPUs
December 23, 2011 8:51:45 AM

Successfully unlocking additional cores will help in some games, namely those that are optimized to use more than 2 cores, it won't make a difference in older titles that are only designed to use 2 cores. It certainly can't hurt if the locked cores are good. The problem with core unlocking is often the locked cores were deactivated because they did not pass quality control, there is no guarantee that your CPU has 4 good cores.

I can't say whether it's the graphics card without knowing which card you have. A really old or really low end card may have trouble running Left 4 Dead on the higher settings. It would also help to know what resolution you are running the game at.
Score
December 23, 2011 8:57:38 AM

Supernova1138 said:
Successfully unlocking additional cores will help in some games, namely those that are optimized to use more than 2 cores, it won't make a difference in older titles that are only designed to use 2 cores. It certainly can't hurt if the locked cores are good. The problem with core unlocking is often the locked cores were deactivated because they did not pass quality control, there is no guarantee that your CPU has 4 good cores.

I can't say whether it's the graphics card without knowing which card you have. A really old or really low end card may have trouble running Left 4 Dead on the higher settings. It would also help to know what resolution you are running the game at.

does that cpu good for Battle field 3??

ok but if i unlock the cores and the cores are defective ....what will happen?can i determine if it is defective or not??
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a c 97 à CPUs
December 23, 2011 9:04:25 AM

For BF3 it depends on whether you are playing single player or multiplayer. Single player isn't CPU demanding, you might not gain much from unlocking the cores. The larger multiplayer matches are more CPU demanding, and the extra cores would definitely help.

If a core isn't functioning properly, you'll know, you'll likely get a lot of crashes or BSODs. You can run a CPU stress test like Prime95 to test the stability of your CPU after you unlock the cores. Watch your temps though when doing this if you are using the stock cooler, the stock AMD cooler doesn't dissipate heat very well, Prime95 may push your CPU beyond the stock cooler's capabilities.
December 23, 2011 9:41:29 AM

Best answer selected by firstvongola.
Score
!