Please give me a complete pc budget

Cedrick

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
Hello,
would you help me ,am an IT student,am assigned to build a pc budget i.e having my budget involving all the internal components and their prices.am perplexed please

deadjon

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
At what level are you studying IT? o_O I never got to do that xD

Hopefully being an IT student you know all the internal components of a PC...

If so, a quick trip to a PC component site like www.scan.co.uk (UK) or www.newegg.com (US) will sort you out - just pick up the components that all work together and put them in your basket, it will add up, write the number down and there you have it.

If not I suggest you do some research - I dont want to be responsible for telling a student all the answers without him learning anything!

Kina with deadjon on this. [:grahamlv:3]

You're in the unique position where you need help but your doing it for a class and i dont want to be responsible in case something goes south.

Although I can give a few pointers beyond what deadjon has given.

In a normal situation to build a PC "budget", You'll need to look at a few thing:

1. How much do you have to spend for the entire computer? ($300, $700, $1000+)
2. What is the computer going to be used for? (gaming, web surfing/email, rendering, ect)
3. What features do you want on a computer? (usb 3.0, multiple pci-e x16 slots for SLI or Crossfire, certain raid support, ect)
4. Are the components high quality and from a good manufacture (Example would be like Gigabyte motherboards with a "Ultra Durable 3" logo and with 3 year warranty.)

The might be a few additional categories but those are the 4 main things that i normally see and/or use.

Once you figured out at least the first 3 catagories (4th category is optional but it typically pays off ;) ), you should then decide what hardware is best for the task for your budget.

Like if you had $1000 budget and you needed to do rendering but did little gaming, I would chose a high end cpu such as a core i7 and put less money towards a gpu (GTX 550ti).

If your gaming with the same budget, I'd put less money for a cpu (core i3) and more towards a gpu (such as a GTX 570) as that's were the best results would be.

Well i wish i could help more but im thinking im already walking on that thin wire. I'd better not cross it. :lol:

Now you'll need to go to one of the 2 web sites deadjon linked in order to start putting things together and being able to see what prices of each component are.

Hope this helps and welcome to the forums! :hello:

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
Strikes me that this is a class assignment, and as such we shouldn't really be spoon-feeding you the answer. I'm guessing the whole point is to research what goes into building a PC and coming up with an appropriate budget.

I'll echo what warmon6 has said, which will hopefully point you in the right direction.

1) What kind of PC are you building? Some are for office work, some are for gaming, some are for photo / video editing. As an example, a gaming machine can easily do an office machine's tasks...but if you're only asked to build an office machine, then recommending a budget appropriate for a gaming machine would be inappropriate.

2) Once you know what type of machine you want, do the research and see what's hot right now. Plenty of sites do example builds in several categories (budget, mid-range, high-end, dream-machine). That'll give you an idea of what components are suitable and how good they are. A budget gaming PC is ideal for those on a shoe-string, but needs to be balanced against the fact they won't be able to run modern titles on max settings...in other words, you need to understand the requirements of who you're building for (kind of covers 1 and 2).

3) You'll then start the component selection process. This will take time and, if you are into computers (and you should be, to be on this sort of course!) is a lot of fun. From 1 and 2, you should know what the machine is to do. The real challenge is getting the best bang for your buck, so be prepared to tweak and tweak and tweak. Also take into consideration customer preferences...some people prefer AMD to Intel, and even if the Intel system is stronger they may not want it. You'll need to justify your recommendations, and that'll mean checking benchmarks of components. You'll find those on sites like this.

4) With all of that done, you'll have got yourself a build. I'm guessing you'll have more guidance than you've given, along the lines of justifying why you've gone for a certain build and the associated budget. Word of advice? Don't just copy a build from a website as your answer, that's too easy and might even result in you failing / getting low marks. I'm guessing you need to understand the pros and cons of the system you're going for and justify why you've selected it.

TRENDING THREADS