Hey guys, this is my first time playing with HDMI on a PC and I've reached a question without an answer (at least on Google). I just got my new mobo (ASUS Crosshair IV Formula AM3 AMD 890FX ATX AMD Motherboard) it's pretty great. Now I'm running three monitors, have for awhile, but I'm considering upgrading my Graphics Cards to HDMI, which I understand is video and sound combined into one cable. But, I really don't wanna negate my $500 7.1 custom computer surround sound unit. If I run all my monitors using HDMI I'm pretty sure I will lose sound, but is there some way to bypass this without running DVI, or am I stuck using crappy monitor speakers or buying new monitors that support DVI? Thanks guys.
Question, why do u want to use HDMI cable all the sudden>?
stick with DVI, it makes no difference and no u dont have to go through all those trouble in device manager, u just have to choose output from ur audio manager,
I'm not suddenly going to HDMI, I have three perfectly good monitors with VGA/HDMI hookups. I've run this tower on them VGA for the past 4 years, many more before I acquired all 3, and just decided to go to HDMI as a High Definition upgrade for my monitor. (Mainly because a "uber nerd" associate of mine said "DVI to VGA is basically VGA.") So, I was curious to opt up to a HD video, which the price difference between the HDMI cards, and DVI cards is minuscule so I just figured I'd ask before ordering a 300euro card just to wind up gettin' the old "Wally-chalk-alaka" treatment on it. And thanks for the help peoples.
new graphics cards usually come with 2 DVI and 1 HDMI and 2 display port as standard on mid end AMD GPUs
Firstly, one of the three HDMI cards I am looking at does have 2 DVI, 1 HDMI, the lower class ones have 1 DVI, 1 HDMI, and 1 VGA. But my new mobo has no display ports at all. (Not where I got mine at but still pretty good deal, and just have to love the EGG! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)
1. High End GPUs or GPUs that are even worth buying will have 2 DVIs, those with less are usually low end GPUs
2. What res are u gaming at? and what game?
3. Dont ur monitor support DVI ?
4. What's ur GPU budget ?
5. What's your full system specs?
6. Dont forget power supply
1. yes, but to run multiple monitors on hdmi it's sorta required. If i run DVI i found a single card with 3 DVI outs.
2. 1366x768. currently i'm playing Crysis2, but i'm waiting for ES5: Skyrim
3. not 100% sure on that...they have D-sub (VGA)
4. about 500euro total for all three
5. ASUS Crosshair IV Formula, AMD Phenom II X6 1180T Black Edition, OCZ ZX Series 1000w, PNY XLR8 4xGB Ram, WD 1TB Black Edition x2, and current video cards are, XFX HD-476X-ZNL2, (x2), and XFX HD-677X-ZNLC (i'm still waiting for this one to come in)
6. 1000w OCZ ZX series
I realize all of my graphics cards have HDMI, VGA, and DVI outs but that's what I asked my original question. I'm planning on upgrading one of XFX HD-476X-ZNL2's to a XFX HD-697A-CNFC one...
1. which do you think i should do? HDMI or DVI/VGA?