User account gone missing

I foolishly used 'control userpasswords2' on my WinXP Home system to see
what is does. I picked on my son's user user name and tried to make him a
power user, only to be told that this was not possible. Ok, no problem.
However, since then his user id does not appear in list of users on the
Logon screen. Nor does it appear if I rerun 'control userpasswords2'. And
I'm told the account exists if I try to add the account again.

We can login ok by using the 'ctl-alt-del' twice trick, and using his user
id, but is there any way of getting this account showing in the list again?
And I promise not to meddle again.
12 answers Last reply
More about user account missing

    Gerry wrote:
    > I foolishly used 'control userpasswords2' on my WinXP Home system to
    > see what is does. I picked on my son's user user name and tried to
    > make him a power user, only to be told that this was not possible.
    > Ok, no problem. However, since then his user id does not appear in
    > list of users on the Logon screen. Nor does it appear if I rerun
    > 'control userpasswords2'. And I'm told the account exists if I try to
    > add the account again.
    >
    > We can login ok by using the 'ctl-alt-del' twice trick, and using his
    > user id, but is there any way of getting this account showing in the
    > list again? And I promise not to meddle again.

    If you can CADx2 then you're running Pro, not Home as that applies to Pro
    only.

    Hi Gerry,

    You may try this. Download and install TweakUI and under TweakUI, navigate to the 'Logon' section
    and if the username corresponding to your son's exists, put a check next to it.

    Download TweakUI:

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    http://www.mvps.org

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > Hi Gerry,
    >
    > You may try this. Download and install TweakUI and under TweakUI, navigate
    to the 'Logon' section
    > and if the username corresponding to your son's exists, put a check next
    to it.

    > Download TweakUI:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp
    >
    > --
    >
    > Anando
    > Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    > http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    > http://www.mvps.org

    Thanks Anando, but unfortunately the username doesn't show in the list.
    Looks like I might have to do a restore?
    Miss Perpicacia - 'If you can CADx2 then you're running Pro, not Home as
    that applies to Pro only.' ??
    ?

    Gerry,

    I am sorry, i have run out of further ideas. You may try using the System restore feature to restore
    your computer prior to making that change.

    --

    "Gerry" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:umjCZYvbEHA.1732@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

    > "Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> Hi Gerry,
    >>
    >> You may try this. Download and install TweakUI and under TweakUI, navigate
    > to the 'Logon' section
    >> and if the username corresponding to your son's exists, put a check next
    > to it.
    >>
    >> Download TweakUI:
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Anando
    >> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    >> http://www.mvps.org
    >

    > Thanks Anando, but unfortunately the username doesn't show in the list.
    > Looks like I might have to do a restore?
    > Miss Perpicacia - 'If you can CADx2 then you're running Pro, not Home as
    > that applies to Pro only.' ??
    > ?

    Hi Gerry,

    Thank you for posting!

    As you still can use your son's account to log on window by pressing
    CTRL+ALT+DEL twice. Properly, this account was set as special account.

    Let us try the below steps:

    1. Click Start, point to Run
    2. Type REGEDIT and press Enter
    3. Locate the below registry key
    NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList
    4. Look at the right pane. Can you find your son's account name in the
    list? If so, please delete it.

    If the above steps do not work, you may create a new User Account for your
    son, log on as the new user account and then copy the origional User
    Profile to the new one. To copy User Profile, click Start, right click My
    Computer, and then choose Properties from the context menu. Click Settings
    button in User Profiles section of Advanced tab. Then you will see the
    window to copy User Profile.

    I hope that the above suggestions are helpful.

    Have a nice day!

    Thanks & Regards,

    Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    Thanks to everybody for taking the trouble to reply. It is much appreciated.
    I will try later to create a new user and copy the old user profile, as
    Feng suggested (btw, the user does not appear in the
    SpecialAccounts\UserList but the profile at least exists). As Ramesh
    indicated the account's group membership is messed-up - Local Group
    Memberships shows as empty instead of *Administrators and *Users as per
    another user.

    I'll also try restoring to an earlier point to see if my meddling can be
    undone. Will let you know what happens, but for the moment thanks again.

    Gerry,

    In XP Home, the "Group Membership" should not be altered using Userpasswords2 dialog. It sometimes sets the account type to "Unknown" and this may be the reason the account is missing. Follow David's advice and if that still does not help, assume that the account's group membership is messed-up. Type "net users <username>" at Command Prompt to verify the Group Membership of your son's account.

    Workaround: Create a new user account and transfer the data to the new account.

    --
    Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    Windows 2000 Group Policy Registry Table:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/gp/gpref.asp

    "Gerry" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:%234slPfqbEHA.2840@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    I foolishly used 'control userpasswords2' on my WinXP Home system to see
    what is does. I picked on my son's user user name and tried to make him a
    power user, only to be told that this was not possible. Ok, no problem.
    However, since then his user id does not appear in list of users on the
    Logon screen. Nor does it appear if I rerun 'control userpasswords2'. And
    I'm told the account exists if I try to add the account again.

    We can login ok by using the 'ctl-alt-del' twice trick, and using his user
    id, but is there any way of getting this account showing in the list again?
    And I promise not to meddle again.

    You're welcome Gerry.

    --

    "Gerry" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:OomMd7xbEHA.2468@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    Thanks to everybody for taking the trouble to reply. It is much appreciated.
    I will try later to create a new user and copy the old user profile, as
    Feng suggested (btw, the user does not appear in the
    SpecialAccounts\UserList but the profile at least exists). As Ramesh
    indicated the account's group membership is messed-up - Local Group
    Memberships shows as empty instead of *Administrators and *Users as per
    another user.

    I'll also try restoring to an earlier point to see if my meddling can be
    undone. Will let you know what happens, but for the moment thanks again.

    CAD=Ctrl + Alt + Delete.

    http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123.html

    "Gerry" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:umjCZYvbEHA.1732@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

    > "Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > > Hi Gerry,
    > >
    > > You may try this. Download and install TweakUI and under TweakUI, navigate
    > to the 'Logon' section
    > > and if the username corresponding to your son's exists, put a check next
    > to it.
    > >
    > > Download TweakUI:
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > Anando
    > > Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    > > http://www.mvps.org
    >

    > Thanks Anando, but unfortunately the username doesn't show in the list.
    > Looks like I might have to do a restore?
    > Miss Perpicacia - 'If you can CADx2 then you're running Pro, not Home as
    > that applies to Pro only.' ??
    > ?

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    As per Feng's suggestion
    "... you may create a new User Account for your son, log on as the new user
    account and then copy the origional User Profile to the new one. To copy
    User Profile, click Start, right click My Computer, and then choose
    Properties from the context menu. Click Settings button in User Profiles
    section of advanced tab. Then you will see the window to copy User Profile."
    .... I created a new user but when copying the profile I was unsure what to
    enter for the 'path to the folder for the copied user profile', even after
    selecting Browse (My Computer was highlighted). As this solution would still
    leave a 'corrupt' user on the system I chickened out out at this point, I'm
    afraid, and resorted to a system restore to some distant point in the past.
    And all is now ok.
    In future I will try to resist the temptation to fiddle with things I don't
    really understand, but it's hard sometimes. Sorry to have wasted your time,
    but thanks again for your much valued advice.
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Hi Gerry,

    Thank you for posting back!

    I am glad that System Restore has solved the problem and everything looks
    good now.

    If you have any questions in the future, please don't hesitate to post in
    the newsgroup.

    Have a nice day!

    Thanks & Regards,

    Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
    Microsoft Online Partner Support

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    i posted the SAME EXACT question on 7/18 but no one responded - thanks
    people >:-(
    system restore to previous day was my simple solution.