Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade Athlon to

Last response: in CPUs
December 23, 2011 9:36:45 AM

I'm currently on a Athlon x4 with a AM3 motherboard and want to upgrade since I can get some help with funding this xmas.

I mainly just game on my PC with a 1080p screen, the 2 options i was looking at is the AMD 6 core 1055t which is a pretty cheap and easy upgrade. My other option is getting a new Mobo and the i5 2500k but is it worth it?(im going to beg my gran to assist me in affording it lol).It will cost a lot more than the 1055t and i dont want to do it if it costs alot more money with not much benefit.

So should i take 1055t? or i5 2500k? (i plan on overclocking them both to max)

If you suggest i5 could you please link me the cheapest motherboard that will allow a nice OC, i dont need the extra features like more USB ports / More sata ports / xfire,sli.

More about : upgrade athlon

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 23, 2011 10:03:53 AM

1055t isn't worth the uprade as far as I can see, and the i5-2500k route is a minimum $320 proposition unless you have a Microcenter handy.

Truth be told, at 1920x1080 you'd probably be better served spending that $320 elsewhere like a gpu (depending on what you currently have) or a ssd.
m
l
December 23, 2011 10:12:04 AM

Decided to wait for the 7*** before upgrading the gpu.

Want to get some upgrade out the way for xmas. As its the best time for me to get financial aid.
m
l
Related resources
a c 850 à CPUs
a c 1097 V Motherboard
December 23, 2011 11:10:08 AM

If you are waiting for the 7xxx series and want to do the CPU now, for max performance I5 2500K cheap board http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Budget get an Phenom II X4 9xxBE and overclock it the 6 core do not improve gaming performance over quad.
m
l
December 23, 2011 11:25:03 AM

As much as i would love to buy a ASRock motherboard i cant since its impossible to find here by me.

My only options are:

Asus
Gigabyte
MSI
Intel
m
l
a c 850 à CPUs
a c 1097 V Motherboard
December 23, 2011 11:26:57 AM

Microgoliath said:
As much as i would love to buy a ASRock motherboard i cant since its impossible to find here by me.

My only options are:

Asus
Gigabyte
MSI
Intel

So pick one with P67 or Z68 chipset that has the right price for you!
m
l
December 23, 2011 1:18:21 PM

K i phoned a few stores and apparently the 1055t is discontinued, my only other option from the 6 core side is the 1090t which costs as much as the i5 CPU. So its pretty clear from this that the i5 is the much better option? even if it needs a motherboard.
m
l
December 23, 2011 2:12:06 PM

@ uther39

I don't see the point of upgrading to a phenom x4 from my athlon x4 that can clock to 3.5* Ghz, also do not wanna take a chance with unlocking cores. Not only that but i have that cooler already that you linked and its pretty good ^__^
m
l
a c 471 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 23, 2011 2:24:23 PM

Microgoliath said:
K i phoned a few stores and apparently the 1055t is discontinued, my only other option from the 6 core side is the 1090t which costs as much as the i5 CPU. So its pretty clear from this that the i5 is the much better option? even if it needs a motherboard.

What about one of the PII X4 CPUs like the 965BE? I wouldn't bother with a six core CPU anyway since games does not make use of 6 cores. They barely manage to use 4 cores and not very effectively either. Also the, the quad cores tend to have higher stock clock speeds than the six core CPUs.

Although the Core i5 series is more powerful, most games are not bound by the CPU. So long as the CPU is fast enough, it will not hold back the video card. Of course, if you play games that you know are CPU intensive, like Civilization V or use programs that are CPU intensive (video encoding), then the Core i5 is the way to go.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 23, 2011 2:42:52 PM

Then sir i5 is your best choice.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 23, 2011 5:28:42 PM

jaguarskx said:
What about one of the PII X4 CPUs like the 965BE? I wouldn't bother with a six core CPU anyway since games does not make use of 6 cores. They barely manage to use 4 cores and not very effectively either. Also the, the quad cores tend to have higher stock clock speeds than the six core CPUs.

Although the Core i5 series is more powerful, most games are not bound by the CPU. So long as the CPU is fast enough, it will not hold back the video card. Of course, if you play games that you know are CPU intensive, like Civilization V or use programs that are CPU intensive (video encoding), then the Core i5 is the way to go.

I'd beg you to review the Dec '11 SBM $1200 build. It does a spectacular job of showing just how much a subpar cpu can and will cripple a powerful gpu setup.

While I agree with what you're saying to an extent, benchmarks don't lie.
m
l
December 23, 2011 7:14:55 PM

I'm leaning more towards the i5 side atm since i just cant justify upgrading from a athlon 4 to a phenom 4, since all im getting extra is l3 cache and a few extra Ghz. No real per core performance boost.

a nice 6 core would be awesome but all the stores here only stock the 1090t which costs as much as the i5 CPU.
m
l
!