Your question

[HELP]my desktop wont turn on

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Desktops
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
December 23, 2011 10:00:57 AM

Today I was trying to turn on my desktop but it wont. after I tried to dust off the fans of my desktop and try to turn it on it was ok now!

The question is: so the problem is the dusts on fans of processor and gpu? the dusts are just normal to me but when I clean it it was ok now? My CPU is almost 6 months old now the case is cooler master maybe should I increase the fan of my casing?

intel i7 2600
8gb Memory
Twin Frozr II 1gb
1TB HDD and 500GB HDD

I hope I wont face future problems so guys can you help me? coz i'm no computer expert...

More about : desktop wont turn

a b à CPUs
December 23, 2011 10:14:22 AM

Ahh dust. The bane of all PC users.

If you cleaned it out, and now it works, it would suggest it was dust.

I have no idea how, unless they were clogged up to high hell and the fans couldnt move O.o

I might say it were a glitch, who knows?

Magical things are PCs, yes. Horrible to maintain, but Impossible to let go of they are hmmm? Take more care of them you should
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 23, 2011 10:20:44 AM

shuin_exe said:
Today I was trying to turn on my desktop but it wont. after I tried to dust off the fans of my desktop and try to turn it on it was ok now!

The question is: so the problem is the dusts on fans of processor and gpu? the dusts are just normal to me but when I clean it it was ok now? My CPU is almost 6 months old now the case is cooler master maybe should I increase the fan of my casing?

intel i7 2600
8gb Memory
Twin Frozr II 1gb
1TB HDD and 500GB HDD

I hope I wont face future problems so guys can you help me? coz i'm no computer expert...

From what i see in your post:
Computer wont turn on.
Computer is dusty
You clean computer
Computer working after cleaning.

Well, the only explanation I can remotely give is that maybe the computer was overheating with the dust in it? :??:  That's the only logical thing i can think of.

Although unless you live in a really really dusty area, i would of thought it would take more the 6 months for a computer to give that type of response. (I've seen computers that hasn't been cleaned in years still working).

So giving all the events i see, the only easy solution I can give for now is to clean your computer of dust at least 1 month. That should prevent any future problems.

If you have any additional problems, Just let us know!

By the way, Welcome to Tom's hardware forums! :hello: 

m
l
Related resources
December 23, 2011 10:27:57 AM

Thanks guys! so the dust is really prob here? as the posted URL there (thought it wont work here it is: http://www.coolermaster.co.jp/product.php?product_id=66... )

The case is like a net that many tiny holes there so the dust would come there sucked by one of my fans, coz the case has 2 free fans which is front and top fan, there is additional fan on back and I added a 1 small fan to the left side so the heat from processor will come out from that fan, which is 4 fans in case! the left behind now is the right side of case which will require 2 large fans, so will that be a mandatory? I'll take the suggest to clean my cpu once 1 month coz yeah my room is dusty everytime I go back from home its dusty :D 

I wonder if ever I buy 2 more additional fans for the right side of my cpu, should I put the fans in or out? maybe out right?
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 23, 2011 11:19:58 AM

shuin_exe said:
Thanks guys! so the dust is really prob here? as the posted URL there (thought it wont work here it is: http://www.coolermaster.co.jp/product.php?product_id=66... )

The case is like a net that many tiny holes there so the dust would come there sucked by one of my fans, coz the case has 2 free fans which is front and top fan, there is additional fan on back and I added a 1 small fan to the left side so the heat from processor will come out from that fan, which is 4 fans in case! the left behind now is the right side of case which will require 2 large fans, so will that be a mandatory? I'll take the suggest to clean my cpu once 1 month coz yeah my room is dusty everytime I go back from home its dusty :D 

I wonder if ever I buy 2 more additional fans for the right side of my cpu, should I put the fans in or out? maybe out right?

Typically, if the fans are on the back and top of a case, you want the fans pulling the air out.

Only in the front you want the fan to pull air in.

For sides, it depend on the case. If it's directly over the cpu, you may want it pulling air into the case. If it's not, normally it's pulling air out. Although it's your decision if you want the side fan blow in a certain direction.

As for if there mandatory, No.

Extra fan wont help with the dust issue (if anything it might compound the problem) unless you start getting dust filters to attach to your intake fans. (example http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...) Then the extra fans might be a good idea.
m
l
December 24, 2011 1:11:06 AM

oh that filters! I was thinking what was that for so it was filter!!
m
l
!