Memtest86 Results Issue

sounds_of_science

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
Hey guys,

I recently built a new PC and have had random BSOD crashes that cite "memory_management" as the issue. So, I decided to run MemTest86. The first run (about 2 hours) gave over 800k errors. I tried an individual stick and found no errors. Next, I swapped in a second stick and found no errors again. So, I swapped them between the 4 slots with only one in at a time, and still found no errors. MemTest86 only gives me errors when the two sticks are in together, no matter which slots they are in.

Is this indicative that the RAM is bad? Why would it only throw up errors when they're together but not individually?

I'm currently trying to replicate the BSOD with one stick of RAM to see if I've solved the issue temporarily.

Here's the motherboard I'm using: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128555
and the RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820178333

Thanks y'all!

daship

Distinguished
running in pairs make sure your in slots 1 3 0r 2 4 whites only or bluess only and some boards need to be in the white slots instead of blue look in the manual that came with the board. Also make sure the ram is getting seated all the way in once you know your sticking it in the right slots.

sounds_of_science

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009

That's a great info source, thanks. Do you know of a good program to check if my hard drive is bad?

sounds_of_science

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009

I'm digging up my manual now. I'll report back.

sounds_of_science

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009

The paper manual is incredibly vague and doesn't mention the color scheme. I'm currently downloading the manual from they're website to see if it has more information but it's going to take 20+ minutes.
I don't think that's the problem since I had originally had it configured in slots 1 and 2, which are the same color. Also, I tried every possible combination and then ran MemTest.

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
to download the user manual use the ftp on the link it is faster your memory slot start this way left no 4 then 2 after 3 and far right 1 so for dual channel on a use slot 1 and 2 for channel b use 3 and4 to test your hdd drive use the drive maker tool or give the name and model i will link you

sounds_of_science

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
I was originally using 1 and 2 because the RAM is dual channel. Also, I saw a one star review on NewEgg saying that it couldn't use more than one memory stick at a time. I might order a new motherboard and RMA this one. Also, I've been using just the one stick of RAM all night/day and haven't blue screened yet.