Sign in with
Your question

Power Connection EAH6950 DCII/2DI4S/1GD5 PCI-EX

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 22, 2011 7:45:39 AM

Sorry that this may be a very basic Question but i am having nightmares with getting this card up and running
This card has a 6 Pin connection and also an 8 Pin connection
I have a Tagan 900 Watt PSU
Do i use the 6 Pin connector and also the 6 Pin + 2 Pin Connector and fill both Connections Fully ?
a b U Graphics card
July 22, 2011 9:23:14 AM

^It is odd that the Asus 6950 have an 6PIN+8PIN power connectors because the reference 6950 only have 2x6PINs.
But it is there for a reason so the answer is: Yes, you should connect 1x6+1x8 PINs accordingly.
Asus probably put some features that will require extra power draw so since your PSU support anyway, just plug it in.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 22, 2011 2:59:04 PM

If you have both 6 and 8 pin plugs on your PSU, use them both. If you have just two 6 pin plugs, go ahead and use them.

randomkid said:

Asus probably put some features that will require extra power draw so since your PSU support anyway, just plug it in.

I know that factory documentation says that the 8 pin plug is capable of carrying more current, but I really wish someone would tell me how.

And before someone says an 8 pin cable will obviously carry more current than a 6 pin cable, take a look at both cables. They each have three hot wires (the yellow 12 volt lines). The 8 pin or "6+2" cable has two extra ground wires. That will not increase current capacity.
m
l
Related resources
July 23, 2011 5:15:27 AM

randomkid said:
^It is odd that the Asus 6950 have an 6PIN+8PIN power connectors because the reference 6950 only have 2x6PINs.
But it is there for a reason so the answer is: Yes, you should connect 1x6+1x8 PINs accordingly.

Many thanks, will try and get this done today
m
l
July 24, 2011 6:18:58 AM

Ok now i have other problems :( 
I got it powered up fine and running ok as well, BUT
Now both my Dvd drives have disappeared ???
I am running Windows 7 64 Bit with an Asus Crosshair IV formula Motherboard
I have 4 Hard drives all attached to Sata 1/2/3/4
and 2 Dvd drives attached to Sata 5/6
Bios sees the 2 Dvd drives fine, but when computer starts they are not visable anywhere ?
Not in My Computer or even in device Manager ?
They are powered and configured fine as if i hot swap a cable and plug 1 into either sata 3/4 or even the other sata connection for external sata they appear fine ???
This has to be to do with Ati Catalyst control Centre as when trying many things like uninstalling whilst it uninstalling parts of that the drives both showed up again in my computer during the uninstall ?
But when finished no sign again ???
Getting frustrated any help please ???

Tried going back to my old Graphics card also HD4850 but similar problems again ! This never happened before ??
m
l
!