Will A Q6600 Bottleneck A 6870

trollfacelol

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
Hello, my 4850 died on me after 4 years..pretty upsetting but *** happens. The only games i really played was world of warcraft, and league of elgends though. I was going to just buy a new system, but i figured ill wait until ivy bridge is released then upgrade. Like some other people on here im mostly a console gamer and am getting BF3 and skyrim for xbox ( playing/chatting with friends having fun > better graphics .)

When i built it 4 years ago i never planned on overclocking, so i never bought a cpu cooler and used the stock one.And i needed a tad bit of help with building it, i put in most of the stuff but i had trouble knowing where to plug all of the case wirings into the moboand stuff. And since my case is a Coolmaster Centurin 590, if i wanted to install a cpu i would have to remove the motherboard, unplug everything, and tbh thats just to much of a hassle. (ill be buying the CM Hyper 212+, if i do need a cpu cooler to OC it) But if i NEED to OC it to like 3.2 so the 6870 wont be bottlenecked, i'll do it. Within the 4 years ive built it i never had problems with it overheating or anything etheir. And its always been fast, considering the only multitasking i do is play a game one one screen, then browse the internet on the other.

Anyway so i decided to i will probaly be getting this 6870

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102948

And this SSD

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233188

And these are my specs

Q6600 @ 2.4 GHZ

2x 2gb DDR2 RAM

Corsair 450w PSU

WD 640 GB HD

And a dead sapphire 4850.

Sorry for the wall/lines of text.

trollfacelol

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
Random thought....but im probaly not going to get the SSD, i never really shut down my computer so the faster loading thing wont do much. And i dont mind waiting an extra 10 secs for games to load. And i can get a samsung spinpoint 1tb for cheaper.

amirp

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
I remember back when I had my q6600 I had it overclocked to 3.0ghz on the stock cooler (with a piece of tape lol http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=58361). I recently upgraded to a i5-2500k and ofcourse it is faster if you measure fps, but all games were running just fine on my q6600, so don't worry about bottleneck, a 6870 will be a good amount faster than the 4850. If you're only playing wow though you really wont need such a powerful card.

I forgot to mention , that I had a 6850 on both my q6600 and my 2500k

asven1

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
replacing a cpu cooler is pretty tricky sometimes you may need to take your motherboard out of your case to attach the mounting hardware. depending on the thermal paste used, intels stock heat sink's being questionable (pressure push pins WTF), and what not be careful of temps when OCing things.

at the very least make sure there is no hair, or dust bunnies chilling on your cpu cooler before tweaking anything.

however its not apples to apples but my friend's phenom II 555 is oc'd on stock cooler with a cooler master scout case or something and @ 3.7 GHZ it deals with the heat good enough.

and I agree with the previous poster i would "do it" also.

amirp

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
Also OP can you not remove the back panel of your case to reveal the back of the motherboard?

If you don't want to remove the motherboard, a decent cooler you can get that also has push-pins is the Cooler Master Hyper TX3, it's not very good....but it will get the job done better than the stock cooler, and it's cheap.

trollfacelol

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011

No, i cant. It has some holes directly behind the cpu, but im guessing its for a fan. Because i dont think the motherboard actually directly touches it.

Yea the 2500k is probaly much faster, but since im not a photo editer/video editer, and it will only be a slight increase in fps for games, im in no rush to upgrade. I reaaly feel like building a new computer though, its fun lol. But i can hold off.

And off topic, but what makes the Samsung Spinpoint faster then other hard drives,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185

im no expert at hard drives but the only difference i see is the 1tb obviously has more storage. My HD i
bought a while ago is a WD Blue 640 gb.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136218

demonsparkx

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
i highly doubt the Q6600 would bottleneck any mid or even higher end cards, if so since you're running a stock clock speed you could fix a minor bottle neck problem by oc'ing the cpu, the 6600 is quite capable of 3.4Ghz 3.0 even on air cooling. i run a 6600 and for it being so old yet so fast at such low clock speeds, mines maxed out at 2.7Ghz due to my mobo limitations with a new ram kit,id say you should be just fine. im able to game happily with it,8gb ddr3 and a geforce 210, and manage near 30fps average on GTA IV,with higher fps peaks and low fps drops near 18fps, due to the gpu only though. ive tried many things with the 6600, even putting it under heavy loads WHILE trying to game and havent seemed to notice too much of a cpu bottle necking problem,so all in all id say go for it and get a nice higher end card :)