Where to upgrade? Am I bottlenecking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuskdididumps

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
Hey guys,

I'm kind of new to the PC gaming world. I built this computer at the beginning of the summer on a semi-limited budget, and it has worked very well for me. I've gotten more than enough performance on most of the games I play. However, I would like to be able to play more of the newer titles more easily.
I'd just like to know if you guys could tell me where my PC is being limited, and where I should upgrade. Or if I should just wait for Ivy Bridge + Kepler and do a large overhaul. My budget is not *very* limited, but I'd like not to go overboard and stay efficient with my money. Without further ado, here is my build:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2GHz 6-Core
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 ATX AM3+
Memory: Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5"
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 6950 1GB
Power Supply: Corsair 650W ATX12V / EPS12V

Where am I bottlenecking? What should I upgrade? Should I wait for the new Intel + nVidia products and transfer over?

Solution

An SSD is a Solid State Drive. It is like a very small, VERY fast hard drive. They are expensive though, but right now, so are hard drives. Basically, an SSD will give you a lot of everyday work performance, load games quicker, but it won't give you any more FPS in games. In the odd situation it does somehow give more FPS, it wont be much.

dannoddd

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
If there's a bottleneck anywhere in your system it's in the fact that you're running a magnetic drive. They aren't fast enough for most anything (at least once you've run ssd).

I would suggest upgrading to a 120gb SSD boot drive. There's only a few places where you'll see a boost in performance, but it's definitely something you will feel in every little thing you do. It'll make your computer feel like it's a whole new beast with power to spare for years to come. True story.

An SSD is a Solid State Drive. It is like a very small, VERY fast hard drive. They are expensive though, but right now, so are hard drives. Basically, an SSD will give you a lot of everyday work performance, load games quicker, but it won't give you any more FPS in games. In the odd situation it does somehow give more FPS, it wont be much.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.