Sign in with
Your question

Need help picking mobo and ram

Last response: in Motherboards
October 8, 2012 6:35:34 AM

Hi i'm needing some help picking out a decent motherboard and ram to replace my current one, its a micro atx mobo with AMD Phenom xII processor and only 4gb of ddr2 ram. I'm mainly going to use this computer to play games on. I'm looking for a mobo that will take ddr3 ram and reuse my old processor, also would I need to upgrade my psu? right now I have an Nvdia geforce gtx460 in it with the stock psu (300 watts) and I think it's been running fine lol? my budget is around $200-250 for the mobo+ram. I could fork out a lil more for the psu if I have to upgrade it aswell, any help would be appreciated. Thanks

More about : picking mobo ram

Related resources
a c 125 V Motherboard
October 8, 2012 2:18:28 PM

Biostar, yuck. Why would you buy that 3rd tier brand? Stick to Gigabyte or Asus for the MB. The ram you chose is fine, and yes, your old cpu will fit into an AM3+ MB.
m
l
October 8, 2012 2:32:49 PM

Cause its cheaper and the specifications looks the same as the Asus, whats the difference with Biostar?
m
l
October 8, 2012 2:53:08 PM

boothang said:
Cause its cheaper and the specifications looks the same as the Asus, whats the difference with Biostar?

The quality of the components they're using might not be the same as the Gigabyte board and they are using all solid capacitors.

Also, the Gigabyte have PCI-E x1 slot, 4 DIMM slot compared to two with the Biostar and much nicer design. :lol: 

Edit: Gigabyte also have 2 USB 3.0 at the back panel, eSATA, Firewire and much moar!
m
l
October 8, 2012 3:18:00 PM

Ok I'll pick up the Gigabyte mobo. Thank you for helping me :) 
m
l
October 8, 2012 3:21:31 PM

boothang said:
Ok I'll pick up the Asus mobo. Thank you for helping me :) 

Why not the Gigabyte?

Edit: Oh ok, you edited it. You'll make no mistake by choosing the board. :D 
m
l
October 8, 2012 3:22:06 PM

Yeah sorry I meant Gigabyte lol
m
l
!