pattonrommel

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
I accidently touched the golden pins jst a little and maybe I don't remember lightly rubbed it back for like .5 seconds. Is it fine? I am using it right now.

pattonrommel

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011

Whew thanks. Also, after how many years should I upgrade? I heard every 3 years. But, I am thinking of doing it every 5 years, cause my rig is pretty good.

It depends on the company. Intel uses the tick-tock plan. A tick is an improvement on an existing architecture such as going from Sandy Bridges to Ivy Bridges. A tock is a completely new architecture such as the Haswell. So for people using Intel the next major upgrade isn't going to be until Haswell is released in 2013 so about two years.

cybneo

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
once my PC cant play the latest games, its time to rebuild or upgrade. OC the CPU will increase the gap thou. right now i have 2600k OCed to 4.6, and 16 GB of RAM. so maybe that will last me 4 years. maybe in 2 years i'll upgrade the vid card... depends on game requirements too...

D

Deleted member 217926

You should upgrade when your computer no longer does what you want it to do.

pattonrommel

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011

So I thought about OC, but when the time comes. But, I am wondering which fan should I get? I don't really want to take apart my computer and install it then rebuild it. Any fan that you can just slap on the board?

ulillillia

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
The frequency of upgrades depends on your needs. I don't play games on my computer, so I rarely upgrade the video card, going on 5 years since the last upgrade and that was with a mid range card at the time. I do quite a bit of video processing so I tend to upgrade the CPU fairly often, about once every 2 years though the 2600K has easy overclocking potential so it becomes more like 3 years instead meaning my next upgrade may be 4 times as powerful than I have now (given Moore's Law). Hard drives are upgraded about once every 3 years, mostly for improved read and write speeds. Of course, the end result depends entirely on what your needs are. My case is just an example on how I decide when to upgrade.

pattonrommel

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011

I have a Thermaltake Spedo. But, is it one of those fans where you have to take apart the computer then put it on then rebuild it?

Does your case have a back window on the chassis where you can access the back of the motherboard? If it does than you don't need to take your computer apart. If it doesn't have an access port then your will have to take everything apart to install a backplate. It's going to be like that for pretty much all aftermarket heatsink/fans.

pattonrommel

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011

Darn... it doesn't have a back plate. Well maybe I can make a back door. Do you think I should get like a razer and make one myself?

Unless you have a razor that can cut through steel/aluminum no. This is what I'm talking about. See how the Obsidian has a window in the back to access the back of the motherboard. With something like that if you want to install an after market heatsink all you have to do is open up the other side and install the new backplate for the heatsink. If it doesn't have a window like that you have to take everything apart remove the motherboard and install the backplate.

Corsair_Obsidian_650D_Back_Open.jpg

pattonrommel

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011

Any good cases that has a back door? Also, is it safe to OC?

For a mid tower case the Obsdian 65D is pretty nice, The only thing I didn't like about mine was it was to small to water cool, it could accept a single 480 rad so I'm in the middle of trying to sell it. For just air cooling though it is very good. As for overclocking as long as you have a good aftermarket fan/heatsink like the Hyper 212 you should be able to get a good overclock.

pattonrommel

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011

Well I was thinking more along of a full tower. Then I was thinking about getting the Corsairs water cooler.

porl

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2011

Noctua NH-D14 you'll never look back.

For a full tower the Obsidian 800 and Silverstone TJ07 are pretty good. The TJ07 probably gives the best options for a full water cooling loop because you can stick the rad and pump "in the basement". I'm not really a fan of those water cooling kits. If your going to do water cooling I would save up the money, do research and do a custom water loop.

pattonrommel

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011

So I guess I will buy a fan instead. So I am going to buy that Nocturne fan that that guy suggested. Any good full tower case good for air cooling with a back door?

pattonrommel

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011

Oh okay. Well my dad won't let me OC so yeahit doesn't make any sense to me why not.

TRENDING THREADS