Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
Hey all,

I'm going to be buying this tomorrow:

CPU

Motherboard

RAM

Case

I bought myself a GTX570 a few days ago, so I'm good there.

Basically, I'm very uneasy about the idea of applying thermal paste, probably a confidence issue with building (even though I've built approximately 4 PC's, all with stock cooling).

I'm mainly using the system for gaming, I don't overclock (but I may in the future, it it a pretty great CPU for it apparently) and I was looking at the Corsair H60/H80 series of coolers.

My main question is, since these are meant to be intake fans, could I still get great performance if I swapped them to exhaust? It's going to be at the back of my case, so I'd like some good airflow to happen, is it worth going for the H80 over the H60? If you have another cooler to recommend, please do!

Secondly, if you think I should go for any different components than the ones listed above (different motherboard for example) please tell me.

I'm actually working for the next 7 hours, so I can't reply until then - hope I've provided enough info though.

Thanks very much!

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
Components all look good, case especially :) I love that 650D.

Cooling really comes down to preference and budget as to which you buy.

And yes the fans can be switched around although you will get slightly better cooling having the radiator fans as intake rather than exhaust. Probably no more than 2-3 degree's but to some people, that matters.

syliam

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009

Ah so only a few degrees is the difference? I was thinking it wouldn't work or something, and I'd wake up to a melted i5. Awesome!

How about the motherboard? It's the only other part I'm not 100% sure on, don't know if it's worth going for the more expensive Pro model I posted there, or going cheaper.

I can afford it though.

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
The only difference between switching the fans is that the air inside the case is used to cool the radiator, rather than the outside air (which is generally cooler).

Just have some good front intake fans and maybe even a side intake and the cooling performance will be very much the same.

syliam

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009

That's actually the very motherboard I WAS going to get until I seen the Asus Pro, hmmm... decisions!

From what I seen in a few comparisons, the Pro only outperforms it slightly.

Thanks for the replies btw!

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
Sorry to throw this in a totally new direction, but you might want to consider one of the newer GEN3 motherboard ASRock are producing.

The ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 and ASRock Extreme4 Gen3 are a very popular choice currently. (The main difference being the Extreme4 supports front panel USB 3.0). The board is priced very similar to the ASUS and Gigabyte boards and supports all the same features. Even the much cheaper Extreme3 Gen3 still has SLI support at x8/x8.

Since the 650D has 1 front panel USB 3.0, id suggest the Extreme4 Gen3 if you wish to make use of this.

£148 http://www.scan.co.uk/products/asrock-z68-extreme4-gen3-intel-z68-s-1155-ddr3-sata-6gb-s-raid-sata-pcie-30-(x16)-graphics-on-board-

Personally I think the board looks stunning as well (visually).

syliam

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009

That's another board I was looking at actually, mainly for the USB 3.0 and the awesome visuals - I think I'd go for that just because of the USB 3.0 really!

AdrianPerry

Distinguished

I think you mean PCI 3.0? Not USB 3.0? :)