Sign in with
Your question

Pc wont boot, or boots then goes out

Last response: in Components
December 23, 2011 8:46:25 PM

I m having problem with my HP pavilion (Windows 7.

so, if i keep all RAM sticks in (there are 4 sticks), the computer wont turn on. The monitor will say "No signal"
but when i took 3 sticks off the computer will work just fine for acouple of days, then slowing down till wont boot.

and if i switched the stick it will work again for a couple of days and goes bad all over again.

No beeping sounds, the fan works fine.

any suggestion'd be greatly appreciated.

More about : wont boot boots

December 23, 2011 10:49:52 PM

First thing I'd do is go to www.memtest.org and download the .iso. Burn the .iso to a cd. Then restart your computer and allow MT86+ to test your RAM. I suspect you will find errors with one or more of your RAM sticks.

Defective RAM can cause display failures. Here is a list of other possibilities:

1. Bad Power Supply Unit
2. Mad motherboard
3. Bad GPU (if one is installed)

You may also want to work through our troubleshooting guide. Click on the link in my signature to get to the t/s guide.
December 23, 2011 10:58:40 PM

T_T said:
First thing I'd do is go to www.memtest.org and download the .iso. Burn the .iso to a cd. Then restart your computer and allow MT86+ to test your RAM. I suspect you will find errors with one or more of your RAM sticks.

Defective RAM can cause display failures. Here is a list of other possibilities:

1. Bad Power Supply Unit
2. Mad motherboard
3. Bad GPU (if one is installed)

You may also want to work through our troubleshooting guide. Click on the link in my signature to get to the t/s guide.

I ran the test; all the RAMs are good. how can i test the power supply? or any particular signs? (like i mentioned there is no beeping or unusual sound come from it)
December 27, 2011 10:29:35 PM

Testing the PSU, accurately, requires a multimeter. I recommend a digital multimeter. Use the black lead on any of the black wires on the P1 connector, or any bare metal part of the chassis. Use the red lead on the following wires and compare your voltage readings:

red = +5 V
yellow = +12 V
brown = +3.3 V
orange = +3.3 V
blue = -12 V
green = +5 V
purple = +5 V
!