Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Phenom II X6 1100T Gaming?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
December 23, 2011 10:18:42 PM

My current system is based on a EVGA 780i Motherboard, Intel Q6600 at stock speed, 8 gb Corsair XMS2 RAM and two MSI 8800GT's (512mb G92) in SLI. I'd been thinking about upgrading for a few months and my girlfriend decided to take it upon herself to get me some things for christmas towards this goal. Bless her little techieless heart, I'm sure she spent hours googling and talking to people and this is what she got me:

EVGA Nvidia GTX570 2.5gb version (yay!)
Corsair Vengeance LP 16 gb DDR3 1600 RAM (yay!)
ASRock 990FX Fatality AM3+ Motherboard (ya.... AM3+..uh-oh)
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition (Hmmm....)

So, being aware that Intel systems are really shine for gaming and this is mainly a gaming system, how well will this system being based on an AMD CPU perform? I would like to be able to play games like BF3, Skyrim, etc on the highest, or close to, settings at decent fps on a 28" 1920x1080 monitor.

Should I attempt to sell the MB and CPU on craigslist to put the proceeds toward an Intel setup (RMA not an option, CPU's are replacement only) or will I be able to fully enjoy today's gaming offerings in their full glory with no noticeable difference even though my FPS never hit's 100+? OC'ing is an option as well, even though I tend to be lazy and not have the patience for it.

Thanks for your advice.

More about : phenom 1100t gaming

a b à CPUs
December 23, 2011 10:25:48 PM

BurningSnowman said:
My current system is based on a EVGA 780i Motherboard, Intel Q6600 at stock speed, 8 gb Corsair XMS2 RAM and two MSI 8800GT's (512mb G92) in SLI. I'd been thinking about upgrading for a few months and my girlfriend decided to take it upon herself to get me some things for christmas towards this goal. Bless her little techieless heart, I'm sure she spent hours googling and talking to people and this is what she got me:

EVGA Nvidia GTX570 2.5gb version (yay!)
Corsair Vengeance LP 16 gb DDR3 1600 RAM (yay!)
ASRock 990FX Fatality AM3+ Motherboard (ya.... AM3+..uh-oh)
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition (Hmmm....)

So, being aware that Intel systems are really shine for gaming and this is mainly a gaming system, how well will this system being based on an AMD CPU perform? I would like to be able to play games like BF3, Skyrim, etc on the highest, or close to, settings at decent fps on a 28" 1920x1080 monitor.

Should I attempt to sell the MB and CPU on craigslist to put the proceeds toward an Intel setup (RMA not an option, CPU's are replacement only) or will I be able to fully enjoy today's gaming offerings in their full glory with no noticeable difference even though my FPS never hit's 100+? OC'ing is an option as well, even though I tend to be lazy and not have the patience for it.

Thanks for your advice.

Should play those games no problem , at least it does on my AM3 1100T , and you have a better vid card I think .
m
0
l
a c 473 à CPUs
December 23, 2011 10:46:05 PM

Waste of money since there are only a few quad core games, and they can't even use the 4th core effectively. BF3 only uses 2 cores and I am pretty sure so does Skyrim.

I would opt for the Phenom II X4 980 for around $30 less. As long as the CPU is fast enough and the resolution is high enough (like 1920 x 1080) there should not be too much difference in gaming performance unless you are playing a game that is CPU bound.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 473 à CPUs
December 23, 2011 10:54:16 PM

Unfortunately, having that many core will not improve overall performance for most people, even in games. Nice to brag I suppose.

"Dude, I got an Octa Core CPU in my PC!!!!!"
"How many cores do you use when playing game?"
"Umm... errr.... ahhh.... maybe three or four."
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 24, 2011 1:35:07 AM

There are game coming out that use more than 4 cores , you can also use the extra cores to do other crap while gaming , and of course there are other programs that take advantage of extra cores , it's not like the extra cores are a burden . GET OVER IT !
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 24, 2011 1:40:05 AM

part of above post missing , edit does not work
\When they came out with dual core how long did you repeat the mantra
"dude I got a dual ctre cpu in my PC
"How many cores do you use when playing a game (because we all know games is where it's at )

"Umm ...errr...ahh ... maybe 1/2 or 1 ?

There are game coming out that use more than 4 cores , you can also use the extra cores to do other crap while gaming , and of course there are other programs that take advantage of extra cores , it's not like the extra cores are a burden . GET OVER IT !
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 24, 2011 1:51:12 AM

And Gothic 4, Metro 2033 or BC2 already support and use Hexa-Core-CPUs
m
0
l
a c 473 à CPUs
December 24, 2011 3:59:49 AM

Metro 2033

Quote:
Metro 2033 stands among the generation of DirectX 11 games that showcase the graphics card as being the limiting factor. CPU utilization is at 100% with a single-core CPU, but then again, so is GPU utilization. Increasing the number of CPU cores and overclocking does not yield any higher frame rates.






Source: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/game-performance-bo...

m
0
l
a c 473 à CPUs
December 24, 2011 4:09:16 AM

There are no benchmarks the confirms or denies that Gothic 4 or BC2 can use six cores.
m
0
l
a c 473 à CPUs
December 24, 2011 4:10:22 AM

jerry6 said:
... you can also use the extra cores to do other crap while gaming , and of course there are other programs that take advantage of extra cores...


The poster specifically stated GAMING.
m
0
l
a c 83 à CPUs
December 24, 2011 4:28:03 AM

jaguarskx said:
Waste of money since there are only a few quad core games, and they can't even use the 4th core effectively. BF3 only uses 2 cores and I am pretty sure so does Skyrim.

I would opt for the Phenom II X4 980 for around $30 less. As long as the CPU is fast enough and the resolution is high enough (like 1920 x 1080) there should not be too much difference in gaming performance unless you are playing a game that is CPU bound.


Single player BF3 only utilizes 2 cores, most quad cores including my Phenom 965 are pushed beyond 75% cpu utilization in multiplayer as it's much more cpu intensive. It's one of the only games where a Phenom II X6 actually performs decently better than a Phenom II X4, and an I7 performs better than I5. Skyrim on the other hand is an out dated game engine and primarily runs on 1 thread. :lol: 

Evidence of core scaling at my link below, Phenom II x2 almost unplayable and X6 performing better than the faster clocked x4.
http://www.sweclockers.com/artikel/14650-prestandaanalys-battlefield-3/5#pagehead

If only more games would actually utilize multiple cores like BF3 there would be reason for a gamer to have more cores.



Since the OP already has a Phenom II X6, there is no reason to sell it and purchase a Phenom II X4, the performance will be identical in 99% of games. It's also true that an I5 would perform better, and would have been the better purchase for a strictly gaming build, but it won't be a night and day difference. With a single GTX 570 the majority of games will be GPU limited any way, and his monitor probably has a refresh rate of 60 so anything beyond 60fps wouldn't be displayed. I would personally stick with that set up since it was a gift and cannot be returned, I just don't like the idea of selling it off to buy something else.
m
0
l
a c 473 à CPUs
December 24, 2011 4:45:38 AM

loneninja said:

Evidence of core scaling at my link below, Phenom II x2 almost unplayable and X6 performing better than the faster clocked x4.
http://www.sweclockers.com/artikel/14650-prestandaanalys-battlefield-3/5#pagehead


Okay, since both PII X4 and PII X6 and FX-8150 (Octa Core) are part of the review, it lends credence to BF3's ability to scale on cores. However, it would be nice if the article was in English.

However, as a counterpoint the below graphic shows no difference in performance between the quad core i7-2600K and the hexa core i7-3960X.



http://wccftech.com/intel-sandy-bridgee-core-i7-3960x-b...

loneninja said:

Since the OP already has a Phenom II X6, there is no reason to sell it and purchase a Phenom II X4...


Ahh, I did not realize he already had the CPU.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 24, 2011 11:14:40 AM

What is wrong with you lot, give the poster some info that he actually needs!

TO THE POSTER

You are very lucky, you seem to have a very nice girlfriend, All those goodies she bought for you will happily make for a fantastic gaming system and will play all modern titles at max settings at 1080p res easily. So put your system together, snog your girly and get gaming.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 24, 2011 11:16:46 AM

Also for a bit of OCing fun, just buy yorself a HYPER 212 EVO with an extra fan and OC your 1100t to 4.0ghz.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 24, 2011 1:46:34 PM

jaguarskx said:
There are no benchmarks the confirms or denies that Gothic 4 or BC2 can use six cores.

They do ,Toms benchmarks or not
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 24, 2011 2:52:41 PM

jerry6 said:
And Gothic 4, Metro 2033 or BC2 already support and use Hexa-Core-CPUs


Gothic 4, what a disappointment that was. Seriously I bought it close to launch and I even added a second 5870 to smooth it out on max detail. Grr... half baked ending.


Anyway that system is enough for gaming. Your girl friend is trying, and if she can afford to give you all that then she's a keeper in my book, unless she did it with your money then it's trouble :p . Get a good cooler for that CPU so you can overclock it as you won't get much from the stock cooler. Overclocked it should be a decent match for that single GTX 570 for sometime and it will probably be two or three years before you can blame the CPU for consistently not keeping at least a 30fps min.

Just make sure to ask for a specific CPU and motherboard in a year or two :D 
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 24, 2011 3:28:46 PM

if she is paying for that then
you are lucky (i am jealous)

if you have to pay for that build then
good luck (ha.. Ha..)
m
0
l
December 24, 2011 4:12:08 PM

GFs these days!! u r one lucky b*****d :-D.

Anyway, for the topic, if u'r gf hasnt already bought that AMD setup, maybe u cud coax her into getting an i5 2500k?? Its actually worth it! Its a gr88888 CPU after being OCed. Plus, u have the advantage of upgrading to i7 2600k in a few years (it supports 8 threads, so pretty useful in future!!).
Or, to heck with sandy bridge(32nm), u cud get an ivy bridge(22nm) in a year or two then!! (but get a z68 chipset then) :-D

But with AMD, u r a dead cat!!! 1100T is the limit for that AM3+ socket from the posts I read at Tom's! I mean, if u get the 1100T, u r done for! I dont mean to criticise the CPU, its also pretty cool after being OCed, and has nothing against it for now, hell, not even for the next year. But i am just sayin' that with 1100T, u wud be forking out 400-500$ for a new CPU mobo combo in 3-4 yrs. THAT, my friend, doesnt appeal to a guy like me.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 24, 2011 5:16:31 PM

gam0reily said:
GFs these days!! u r one lucky b*****d :-D.

Anyway, for the topic, if u'r gf hasnt already bought that AMD setup, maybe u cud coax her into getting an i5 2500k?? Its actually worth it! Its a gr88888 CPU after being OCed. Plus, u have the advantage of upgrading to i7 2600k in a few years (it supports 8 threads, so pretty useful in future!!).
Or, to heck with sandy bridge(32nm), u cud get an ivy bridge(22nm) in a year or two then!! (but get a z68 chipset then) :-D

But with AMD, u r a dead cat!!! 1100T is the limit for that AM3+ socket from the posts I read at Tom's! I mean, if u get the 1100T, u r done for! I dont mean to criticise the CPU, its also pretty cool after being OCed, and has nothing against it for now, hell, not even for the next year. But i am just sayin' that with 1100T, u wud be forking out 400-500$ for a new CPU mobo combo in 3-4 yrs. THAT, my friend, doesnt appeal to a guy like me.



Pretty tough on a guy who's girlfriend already bought him all the stuff, and its PRETTY GOOD stuff at that. Whats with this "u wud be forking out 400-$500 for a new CPU mobo combo in 3-4 yrs."..... I have a 2600K and 2 560ti's in SLI, and I guarantee you I will be forking out money for a new CPU mobo combo in less than 2 years. Good grief get a grip, hes got a darn nice system that will run any game out there quite well.
m
0
l
a c 473 à CPUs
December 24, 2011 6:09:24 PM

jerry6 said:
They do ,Toms benchmarks or not


I prefer to see evidence rather than rely on heresay or a developer's claims.
m
0
l
December 24, 2011 6:40:47 PM

BurningSnowman said:

EVGA Nvidia GTX570 2.5gb version (yay!)
Corsair Vengeance LP 16 gb DDR3 1600 RAM (yay!)
ASRock 990FX Fatality AM3+ Motherboard (ya.... AM3+..uh-oh)
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition (Hmmm....)




that system is perfect for gaming for the next few years.

you'd need a huge amount of cash at least £200 more to get a comparable intel setup.

bf3 uses more than 3 cores and about 2.2gb ram, even at stock the 1100t will cope with ease.

:D 
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 24, 2011 7:17:43 PM


have you ever played bf3 online? cause when i cut affinity to four on my cpu i cant play online. its just not playable at ultra settings with 2 cores plus hyperthreading. six threads and i cansee performance loss too.

you can say an i5 is just as fast as an i7 all you want but you just keep posting single player benchamrks.
m
0
l
a c 473 à CPUs
December 24, 2011 7:27:43 PM

cbrunnem said:
have you ever played bf3 online? cause when i cut affinity to four on my cpu i cant play online. its just not playable at ultra settings with 2 cores plus hyperthreading. six threads and i cansee performance loss too.

you can say an i5 is just as fast as an i7 all you want but you just keep posting single player benchamrks.


I don't play BF3.

If you can post some multiplayer benchmarks, then go ahead.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 24, 2011 7:42:41 PM

jaguarskx said:
I don't play BF3.

If you can post some multiplayer benchmarks, then go ahead.



dont give advice on something you dont know about.

its pretty common and becoming more know that online bf3 is more reliant to a good cpu and single player only needs a dual core. i just stated that when i set core affinity to 6 i see major studdering and 4 is unplayable yet you want benchmarks? do some research.
m
0
l
December 24, 2011 8:14:34 PM

I think the stuttering is due to hyperthreading, I've seen many reports of HT causing problems like that in some games.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 24, 2011 8:43:54 PM

Fortunex said:
I think the stuttering is due to hyperthreading, I've seen many reports of HT causing problems like that in some games.


lowering the affinity has never done that to me before in any game and i always have hyperthreading on.
m
0
l
a c 473 à CPUs
December 24, 2011 9:06:15 PM

cbrunnem said:
dont give advice on something you dont know about.

its pretty common and becoming more know that online bf3 is more reliant to a good cpu and single player only needs a dual core. i just stated that when i set core affinity to 6 i see major studdering and 4 is unplayable yet you want benchmarks? do some research.


That simply tells me the game is poorly coded if only 2 threads are required for single player mode and 6 threads are required for MMO mode. It reminds me of GTA 4. Also what Fortunex said is true, some people have reported that Hyper Threading was itself causing performance issues. Someone here at THG reported as much as a 25% decrease in performance when using HT in the Game sub-forum. However, that seems a bit excessive though since THG's review should only low single digit drop in performance when using HT, but no mention of stuttering. While BF3 can use HT, it seems to have a detrimental effect on performance. Perhap a patch release will fix the issues.

I most certainly do research by reading reviews an user comments about the game itslef and the issues they are having. If I did not do research, then I would not have bothered to provide benchmarks backing up my statements.

If that is not considered research, then perhap you can decribe what the word "research" means to you.
m
0
l
December 24, 2011 9:07:37 PM

Thanks for all the responses. Since it seems there really isn't the issue I through there could be I'm just put going to put it all together and be happy. And maybe overclock a few months down the road.

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good gaming night!
m
0
l
a c 473 à CPUs
December 24, 2011 9:15:22 PM

Just be sure to have a good heatsink installed before you start to OC.
m
0
l
a c 473 à CPUs
December 24, 2011 9:41:13 PM

Okay. Just wanted to make sure you don't accidentally damage your CPU.
m
0
l
December 25, 2011 4:42:49 PM

Quote:
way overly dramatic about the AMD being dead cat and in need of spellchecker.
I spellchecked this one for ya.


K K, I got a little emotional out there. I totally forgot that the new FX is AM3+ based. Correcting that mistake.
Anyway, since its Xmas and u take whatever u get , especially if it's "GF rated", then yeah, 110T hsa got nothing bad.
Its just that I thougt that the guy's gf had only spelt out her picks, and wud be open to some minor changes.
Anyway, OCed, 1100T is solid. U hav at least 3 years of happy gaming. Thats a lot for free!!!!!!!
m
0
l
December 25, 2011 4:54:15 PM

and if I look at the board, the fata1ty, man I keep thinking, is ur gf Asian??
(not being biased, i am an asian too, and proud at that!!)
m
0
l
January 11, 2012 5:13:22 AM

truegenius said:
if she is paying for that then
you are lucky (i am jealous)

if you have to pay for that build then
good luck (ha.. Ha..)



Mate I just built a phenom ii x6 1100t
ASUS M5A78L AM3+
RADEON HD 6770 (Cheap i know)
4gb DDR3 1333mhz
Arctic freezer 7 pro
Rig and It cost me somewhere between £500 - £600
and it's sweet for battlefield 3 will upgrade the ram and GPU soon but for that money I am more than pleased with it an i7 would be better (apparently) but would also cos't a big chunk of my budget for just the i7 CPU so in my view the phenom ii build is better...

I would also appreciate hearing what anyone thinks of my build (nice tho please)
also any advice on overclocking (co's i can only get prime stable at 3.6 ghz)

I will start a thread of my own if someone reply's to this
thanks
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2012 1:40:44 PM

steelninja said:
Mate I just built a phenom ii x6 1100t
ASUS M5A78L AM3+
RADEON HD 6770 (Cheap i know)
4gb DDR3 1333mhz
Arctic freezer 7 pro
Rig and It cost me somewhere between £500 - £600
and it's sweet for battlefield 3 will upgrade the ram and GPU soon but for that money I am more than pleased with it an i7 would be better (apparently) but would also cos't a big chunk of my budget for just the i7 CPU so in my view the phenom ii build is better...

I would also appreciate hearing what anyone thinks of my build (nice tho please)
also any advice on overclocking (co's i can only get prime stable at 3.6 ghz)

I will start a thread of my own if someone reply's to this
thanks

you should be able to get at least 4.0 out of that chip. make sure you have a good cooler though. but with that gpu idk how much an overclock would help you.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 12, 2012 12:06:16 AM

steelninja said:
Mate I just built a phenom ii x6 1100t
ASUS M5A78L AM3+
RADEON HD 6770 (Cheap i know)
4gb DDR3 1333mhz
Arctic freezer 7 pro
Rig and It cost me somewhere between £500 - £600
and it's sweet for battlefield 3 will upgrade the ram and GPU soon but for that money I am more than pleased with it an i7 would be better (apparently) but would also cos't a big chunk of my budget for just the i7 CPU so in my view the phenom ii build is better...

I would also appreciate hearing what anyone thinks of my build (nice tho please)
also any advice on overclocking (co's i can only get prime stable at 3.6 ghz)

I will start a thread of my own if someone reply's to this
thanks

You should be able to get 3.8-4.0 , maybe the MB holding it back ?? I was able to hit 4.1 on my 110t sabertooth combo , 3.8 with my 1090t Gigabyte 990 udx-5 combo
m
0
l
January 15, 2012 5:53:12 PM

cbrunnem said:
you should be able to get at least 4.0 out of that chip. make sure you have a good cooler though. but with that gpu idk how much an overclock would help you.


Yeah know what you are saying it runs battlefield 3 on high with low AA and antistropic filtering but am gonna upgrade to a 6950 like yours soon as possible
m
0
l
January 15, 2012 5:58:36 PM

jerry6 said:
You should be able to get 3.8-4.0 , maybe the MB holding it back ?? I was able to hit 4.1 on my 110t sabertooth combo , 3.8 with my 1090t Gigabyte 990 udx-5 combo


I think my Ram is holding it back co's I been advised that having all the slots filled makes it harder to overclock it is an overclocking Motherboard but only a cheap one I know but should still hit 4.0 Ghz. I'm gonna get 2 sticks of 4 gb ddr3 and see how it goes co's it seems almost impossible to overclock it in it's current state
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 15, 2012 6:30:47 PM

steelninja said:
I think my Ram is holding it back co's I been advised that having all the slots filled makes it harder to overclock it is an overclocking Motherboard but only a cheap one I know but should still hit 4.0 Ghz. I'm gonna get 2 sticks of 4 gb ddr3 and see how it goes co's it seems almost impossible to overclock it in it's current state

I thought you only had one slot filled with 4g 1333 ? What memory you using ? Both my rigs are using G-skill ripjaws and sniper 2x4g 1280
m
0
l
January 15, 2012 11:03:21 PM

I am not a heavy gamer, but I can say that playing Civ V, which is interestingly intensive on cpu and gpu, especially after a few hundred turns of the game, that all 6 of my cores on my 1100T are blazing away with activity. Generally all 6 cores run around 35-50% and on occasion run upwards of 60%. Light overclock on stock air at 3.8ghz / 4ghz turbo.

I also run a XFX 6950 overclocked to 925 / 1475. Civ V pushes the card rather decent. Generally I see the GPU running around 40-60%, occasionally up to 85%.

To the OP, In short, your processor is fine :) 
m
0
l
January 16, 2012 2:56:35 PM

gam0reily said:
GFs these days!! u r one lucky b*****d :-D.

Anyway, for the topic, if u'r gf hasnt already bought that AMD setup, maybe u cud coax her into getting an i5 2500k?? Its actually worth it! Its a gr88888 CPU after being OCed. Plus, u have the advantage of upgrading to i7 2600k in a few years (it supports 8 threads, so pretty useful in future!!).
Or, to heck with sandy bridge(32nm), u cud get an ivy bridge(22nm) in a year or two then!! (but get a z68 chipset then) :-D

But with AMD, u r a dead cat!!! 1100T is the limit for that AM3+ socket from the posts I read at Tom's! I mean, if u get the 1100T, u r done for! I dont mean to criticise the CPU, its also pretty cool after being OCed, and has nothing against it for now, hell, not even for the next year. But i am just sayin' that with 1100T, u wud be forking out 400-500$ for a new CPU mobo combo in 3-4 yrs. THAT, my friend, doesnt appeal to a guy like me.



Gonna have to agree with this man. i dont understand buying an 1100T..then in a couple of years having to upgrade.


so really..your choices are

1. 2500 or 2600k
2.spending 1000 dollars on a 6 core from intel
3. BD 6 or 8 core from amd.
m
0
l
January 26, 2012 1:23:18 PM

jerry6 said:
I thought you only had one slot filled with 4g 1333 ? What memory you using ? Both my rigs are using G-skill ripjaws and sniper 2x4g 1280

nah my bad sorry no it's 4 sticks of patriot 1333mhz DDR3
I was told that OC with all the slots filled will make it much harder but don't know for sure

I ain't even sure if this is even my thread (new to forums) but it's relevant none the less
m
0
l
January 26, 2012 1:23:56 PM

garage1217 said:
I am not a heavy gamer, but I can say that playing Civ V, which is interestingly intensive on cpu and gpu, especially after a few hundred turns of the game, that all 6 of my cores on my 1100T are blazing away with activity. Generally all 6 cores run around 35-50% and on occasion run upwards of 60%. Light overclock on stock air at 3.8ghz / 4ghz turbo.

I also run a XFX 6950 overclocked to 925 / 1475. Civ V pushes the card rather decent. Generally I see the GPU running around 40-60%, occasionally up to 85%.

To the OP, In short, your processor is fine :) 

To the OP, In short, your processor is fine :) [/quotemsg]
So you are saying forget the overclock or not co's yours is overclocked but why is mine being such a pain in the butt to overclock? I never get anywhere and anything I do that will boot just crashes prime or cinebench I have wasted hours and hours getting nowhere. my Bios has CPU overvoltage and the first setting after auto is 1.027500'ish and to get to 1.30000'ish means pressing the + key lots n lots of times and seeing as it should be 1.325 volts stock this is what confuses the hell out of me???

Actually I think i replied to wrong thread but it's relevant none the less so apologies if I have hijacked a thread (new to forums lol)
m
0
l
January 26, 2012 1:33:21 PM

jaguarskx said:
Waste of money since there are only a few quad core games, and they can't even use the 4th core effectively. BF3 only uses 2 cores and I am pretty sure so does Skyrim.

I would opt for the Phenom II X4 980 for around $30 less. As long as the CPU is fast enough and the resolution is high enough (like 1920 x 1080) there should not be too much difference in gaming performance unless you are playing a game that is CPU bound.


mate with respect
It's not a waste of money I bought my 1100t phenom ii x6 because you can use the extra cores for running extra processes without bogging down all your core's plus think "Futreproofing" and I can do pretty much anything even watch TV (Media centre) on one monitor and run Battlefield 3 on the other!! not perfectly mind you but useable well fine really but you couldn't do that with a quad (I know it's pointless anyway but you can surf the web also while you play) Just an example
m
0
l
January 26, 2012 3:22:24 PM

gam0reily said:
GFs these days!! u r one lucky b*****d :-D.

Anyway, for the topic, if u'r gf hasnt already bought that AMD setup, maybe u cud coax her into getting an i5 2500k?? Its actually worth it! Its a gr88888 CPU after being OCed. Plus, u have the advantage of upgrading to i7 2600k in a few years (it supports 8 threads, so pretty useful in future!!).
Or, to heck with sandy bridge(32nm), u cud get an ivy bridge(22nm) in a year or two then!! (but get a z68 chipset then) :-D

But with AMD, u r a dead cat!!! 1100T is the limit for that AM3+ socket from the posts I read at Tom's! I mean, if u get the 1100T, u r done for! I dont mean to criticise the CPU, its also pretty cool after being OCed, and has nothing against it for now, hell, not even for the next year. But i am just sayin' that with 1100T, u wud be forking out 400-500$ for a new CPU mobo combo in 3-4 yrs. THAT, my friend, doesnt appeal to a guy like me.



*facepalm*

I don't hate intel. I just hate it when people say that going intel gives you better longtivity. I have about 35 phenom's to choose from that use AM3 or AM3+ And a few FX line processors, oh and the new AMD piledriver will be AM3+ I think. With an LGA 1155 I can do what upgrade to an i7 2600k which in reality is 200 dollars for 15 frames better than a Phenom 980 or 1100t, that doesn't sound good to me.

@OP
The 1100t is a great CPU, although I would say get a 980 BE because it's cheaper and games don't use more than 4 cores, don't listen to the Intel salesmen trying to get you to fork out a lot of extra money for a little performance boost.
m
0
l
July 22, 2012 12:53:12 AM

e-ninja said:
Gonna have to agree with this man. i dont understand buying an 1100T..then in a couple of years having to upgrade.


so really..your choices are

1. 2500 or 2600k
2.spending 1000 dollars on a 6 core from intel
3. BD 6 or 8 core from amd.

100t outperforms BD 8 core in most things except highly threaded programs so you'd be upgradeing a BD chip sooner than a 1100t
m
0
l
July 22, 2012 1:04:30 AM

jerry6 said:
I thought you only had one slot filled with 4g 1333 ? What memory you using ? Both my rigs are using G-skill ripjaws and sniper 2x4g 1280

bit of a late reply but I was using 4 sticks of patriot 1333 ddr3 but now have one 4 gig stick 1333 (Unknown make) and 3 of the 1 gb 1333 mhz patriot that I had in it originally. So 7 gigs in all but I gave up tryin to overclock co's I get into the 50c range at stock speeds with stock cooler or with a freezer 7 pro (which runs hotter than stock and has got into the 60c range!!)

So I don't know how i could overclock as 62c is the safe limit for the 1100t i HAVE A GAMING CASE WITH 3 FANS FFS One 200 mm at front a 80 mm in side both sucking air in and one 80 mm blowing it out the back and it's still cooking. My 6770 gets into the 80's
not good :( 
m
0
l
!