Sign in with
Your question

Games crashing on 5770 can't find Fix =[

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 22, 2011 6:51:23 PM

So this problem has been persisting for about a month and I have tried several things but nothing works so hopefully you guys and help me out.

System:
Pheonom II x2 560 BE OC to 4ghz with a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 dual fans
Gigabyte HD5770 stock speeds
Gigabyte 790XTA-AUD4
Cooler Master GX650 PSU
4GB Patriot Sector 5 1333 ram
Two Shuttle monitors at 1280x1024 extended desktop
-all games played at 1280x1024 on main desktop

Problem:
I first started experiencing crashes with Starcraft 2, anywhere from 3min to 3 hours between crashes, very strange.
It crashed on high medium and low video settings.
I tried updating my drivers, still crashed
I tried reinstalling the game, still crashed
I tried fixing the framerate glitch and disabling the second screen, still crashed
So gave up on trying after I beat single player and moved on to other games

I played Red Faction Guerrilla and beat that game, not a single problem on max settings
I played Just Cause 2 for a while on max settings as well no problem
I played Battlefield BC2 on high settings and it crashed once in single Player and once on Multiplayer but it is usually pretty solid, and it only crashed after several hours of play.
I have just started playing STALKER SoC no mods, and it ran fine for a while but now it crashes like SC2 did, 3min to 3hrs of game time before it crashes.
Also after every crash if I open Google Chrome it crashes on startup, requiring a reboot to function normally.

So i tried to do some testing to figure it out.
Before playing STALKER I ran FurMark extreme burn in test for 30min, max temp 67 C, no crashes.
I played for about 2 hours and monitored CPU and GPU loads/temp. CPU max temp 35 C, GPU max temp 62 C, both max 100% load. Then it crashed again, It started with yellow lines appearing around the edges then the whole thing freezes. When I ctl-alt-del out, my desktop colors are all up on the left screen, but the right looks fine. When i did a print screen both desktops looked the same! I disabled and re-enabled the corrupted screen and it returned to normal. Chrome still crashed on startup when I tried to open it. I then ran Furmark for another 30min, same temp range, no crashes. Then I punched a few things and said some profanities, grabbed my laptop and came here.

I really just want to enjoy my games, if you have any suggestions or want me to run anymore tests or need more about my system specs, I would be glad to hear from you. Please Help!
July 22, 2011 7:15:42 PM

From what you have said it almost sounds like you have an issue with your monitor- for example when you say your colors are only messed up on one side of the screen and you're getting yellow lines. I have never heard of Scuttle monitors either. What I would suggest is that you try a different monitor or if you don't have another try to connect your PC to a HDTV. Also, is this a brand new build or did you just upgrade to the 5770? Also a fresh install of Windows 7 with the most upgraded drivers sometimes helps too. Maybe you're missing a driver- you should be able to check that in the Device Manager.

Good luck!
m
l
July 22, 2011 7:20:20 PM

Thanks for the quick reply! I totally did not think of that, I could switch which screen I use as my main, I may have to dig around to find a different brand, these we actually both busted screens that I fixed up so totally a possibility. This is a pretty new build, about 7 months old, had the 5770 the whole time. I'll double check windows drivers too.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 22, 2011 7:30:18 PM

:) 

1| welcome to the forums newcomer!
2| what OS are you running off the desktop?
3| what version driver for catalyst did you have when all the profanities were flying around?
4| the chrome issue you have, i'm curious, are you experiencing this everytime the games crashes to desktop? DO the games crash to desktop?
5| The yellow lines indicate artifacting, dya have the GPU under warranty?
6| When i asked about what os you running, please see if you can post a snip of the error report on action center. For every time the crashes occur, there'll almost certainly be an error report posted to show what had gone wrong.
7| all update's for your system we're successful?
8| have you tried a fresh install of windows?
9| have you determined the OC your running is actually stable?

sorry for all these questions, just trying to help.
m
l
July 23, 2011 5:07:36 AM

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

From ATI CCC
Driver Packaging Version 8.85-110419a-118907C-ATI
Catalyst Version 11.5 *There is 11.6 available but i tried that before, I since deleted and re installed to 11.5
Provider ATI Technologies Inc.
2D Driver Version 8.01.01.1152
2D Driver File Path /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/CLASS/{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}/0000
Direct3D Version 7.14.10.0833
OpenGL Version 6.14.10.10750
Catalyst Control Center Version 2011.0524.2352.41027

The game usually will lockup and i have to open task manager and end it, from the desktop If I open chrome it crashes on startup or sometimes it will load like facebook but look really buggy and then crash.

The Video card is only 6-7months old and i think has a 3 year limited warranty, never OC'ed it.

Ill try and find a crash error report tomorrow

Oh and I swapped which screen is my main desktop and played STALKER for about 2 hours, it didn't crash but the last 15min or so it did develop the yellow lines like before, but was still able to play the game.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 23, 2011 8:38:20 AM

^ did you try a fresh install of windows?

for how long have you been seeing this problem get on?

*Edit; i found it...RMA the card, last time i checked there were people who did complain about the yellow lines on most Vaporx series of 5770's and 5870's

1280x1024 isn't really taxing your card in any way, i have one running a P2250 @ 1920x1080p for just about a year. And your getting this for quite some time...did you revert to any drivers before 11.5? 11.3 or so?
m
l
July 23, 2011 2:09:29 PM

I have not done a fresh windows install and I'd rather not do that, especially if the problems will persist.
The problem started about a month ago with starcraft 2, i think the only other games i played beforehand were portal and teamfortress 2.

I'm curious, where did you find info on the yellow lines? I tried several google searches, like "game crashes after yellow lines" etc. And what do you mean by Vaporx series of 5770's?
m
l
a c 272 U Graphics card
July 23, 2011 2:14:08 PM

Mayonaise314 said:
I have not done a fresh windows install and I'd rather not do that, especially if the problems will persist.
The problem started about a month ago with starcraft 2, i think the only other games i played beforehand were portal and teamfortress 2.

I'm curious, where did you find info on the yellow lines? I tried several google searches, like "game crashes after yellow lines" etc. And what do you mean by Vaporx series of 5770's?

The problems with the vertical lines is nothing new.
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ATI-Radeon-Gray-Screen...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 23, 2011 2:15:52 PM

Are you sure your overclock is stable?

1280x1024 is really not doing anything to tax your graphics card, but your CPU on the other hand is doing a lot of work.
m
l
July 23, 2011 2:22:44 PM

the CPU has been pretty solid but ill put prime 95 on it again, how many hours would you call stable? I also plan to try a 3rd monitor that is not a shuttle and try a few other games, recently i have only been playing stalker.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 23, 2011 2:35:15 PM

Eh, on prime I usually let it run overnight so anywhere from 6-8 hours I call good. Maybe it's a bit much...

I started using a linpack test to get a pretty good idea if my overclocks are stable and it only takes 20-30 minutes. It stresses way more than prime95 ever will, so if your system can take this then I would say it's probably good.

http://downloads.guru3d.com/IntelBurnTest-v2.3-download...

EDIT: I usually test on high settings for 15-20 interations.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 23, 2011 4:41:48 PM

the link mousemonkey posted was what i had read - and then remember being told to stay off the VaporX 5xxx series of GPU cos of the failure. Cos of these reasons, more 5770 cards were getting bad rep for a really budget friendly card.
m
l
July 24, 2011 3:29:06 AM

Hmmm....crap. So what should I do? I don't want to get another card that isn't going to work.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 24, 2011 3:50:28 AM

RMA or refund, simple :) 
m
l
!