Sign in with
Your question

Confused- how to 1 router, 2 (sub)networks?

Last response: in Networking
November 1, 2010 8:40:48 PM

Hello all. I am great with computers but a bit confused on what the best setup would be for this network situation. I have not had any formal networking courses nor am I a network admin. Most of the setups I have used and worked with are windows based workgroups and until now have not had the need to make anything this complicated. I would appreciate any and all advice, and that you not harass my network newbieness (too much ;)  )

I have:
-1 router(4 ports) and two switches (5 ports each)
-1 dsl internet connection
-13 computers running xp pro

What I need:
-computers 2-10 need to be able to access a few files on computer 1 (I typically map the drive using built in function of windows on computers 2-10)
-computers 1-9 are not to have internet access (I am able to control this via the router where I allow traffic to specific MAC addresses)
-computer 10 is to have internet access
-computers 11-13 are to have internet access and are NOT allowed to see computers 1-10 (antivirus software will only be installed on computers 10-13 and I want to limit chances of infection)
-is it possible to allow all computers access to one printer? (perhaps a usb printer that I can plug into my router which has a usb port)

I know how to set IP addresses in the router and on each computer but I am not sure how I would accomplish the requirements above. I realize that by allowing computer 10 to get online I could infect computers 1-9, but in all reality internet use will be very limited on that machine and in most cases it will not be requesting internet access.

Since this is a business network, and I am a bit over my head I am asking for any advice that members of the forum may have.

Thanks
November 1, 2010 8:53:55 PM

is it in you budget to buy a second router?

this would allow you to connect 11 - 13 plus the second router (using the internet port) to the first router, and then 1 - 10 to the second router.

all you have to make sure is that the second router uses a differant IP scheme than the first.

Router1 192.168.0.1
Router2 192.168.1.1
m
l
November 1, 2010 8:59:45 PM

Emerald:

since you asked, I actually do have a second router, and I believe that piggybacking the two was what I tried first. I took wan-->wan port on router 1-->router 1 then plugged into computers 11-13-->then I ran a cable from router 1 into the wan port on router 2 and the rest of the computers plugged into router 2. it worked but people reported a few glitches (I am not sure what they were from so I will have to further test that setup)

what do you think about that idea?
m
l
Related resources
November 1, 2010 9:30:47 PM

Another setup that might work is

connect 1 - 10 plus the second router (using the internet port) to the first router, and then 11 - 13 to the second router.

You have to make sure is that the second router uses a different IP scheme than the first.
In the first router you enable DMZ and set the Destination IP to 192.168.0.2.
Then you set the second router's WAN IP to Static IP and assign it IP# 192.168.0.2, Netmask 255.255.255.0, Gateway 192.168.0.1.

Router1 LAN 192.168.0.1
Router2 LAN 192.168.1.1
m
l
November 1, 2010 9:39:29 PM

humm interesting, I forgot about DMZ. I will give that setup a go, it seems promising. I think the logic of that setup works best.

anyway to allow a printer to be shared amongst all the computers?
m
l
November 2, 2010 9:59:46 PM

There's a much easier way to do this with a server running windows 2008 and making it the domain controller running DNS and DHCP. It does require a high level IT knowledge however. You may want to contract someone to help you set it up the proper way.

scales said:
Hello all. I am great with computers but a bit confused on what the best setup would be for this network situation. I have not had any formal networking courses nor am I a network admin. Most of the setups I have used and worked with are windows based workgroups and until now have not had the need to make anything this complicated. I would appreciate any and all advice, and that you not harass my network newbieness (too much ;)  )

I have:
-1 router(4 ports) and two switches (5 ports each)
-1 dsl internet connection
-13 computers running xp pro

What I need:
-computers 2-10 need to be able to access a few files on computer 1 (I typically map the drive using built in function of windows on computers 2-10)
-computers 1-9 are not to have internet access (I am able to control this via the router where I allow traffic to specific MAC addresses)
-computer 10 is to have internet access
-computers 11-13 are to have internet access and are NOT allowed to see computers 1-10 (antivirus software will only be installed on computers 10-13 and I want to limit chances of infection)
-is it possible to allow all computers access to one printer? (perhaps a usb printer that I can plug into my router which has a usb port)

I know how to set IP addresses in the router and on each computer but I am not sure how I would accomplish the requirements above. I realize that by allowing computer 10 to get online I could infect computers 1-9, but in all reality internet use will be very limited on that machine and in most cases it will not be requesting internet access.

Since this is a business network, and I am a bit over my head I am asking for any advice that members of the forum may have.

Thanks

m
l
!