Sign in with
Your question

Ready to go, 600$ gaming rig.

Last response: in Systems
September 22, 2011 6:24:25 PM

Hello,

It has been months now.. I have been doing a lot of reading, researching about the best mid-range gaming pc I could get for ~600 $. Hopefully buying in the next 2 weeks.

And this is my final outcome.

Tadda !!

#Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 912

Picked it based on it's good number of case fan and that it has a neat cable mamangment. And yeah it's a coolermaster. :p 

#CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGMBOX

Had an intel for years now.. I think it's time to try an AMD.

#Motherboard: ASRock 770 EXTREME3 AM3 AMD 770 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

OR ASUS M4A87TD/USB3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 AMD Motherboard

I'm pretty sure I'm NOT going to crossfire. I picked the "Asrock" as first option for it's good price and it has a 1600 ram support without the need of overclocking my Mobo. Has what I want: SATA 6G and USB 3.0.

Second option. A difference in the price but no problem I can afford it if it's worth it and it was the best I could get as an alternative. There is also same model but with EVO. 5 $ more.

However the ARock Chipset is 770 AMD and the ASUS is AMD 870.

#RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

It's cheap, fast and a good selling item.

#Graphic card: GIGABYTE Ultra Durable VGA Series GV-R685OC-1GD Radeon HD 6850

A awesome card I could say and it does not consume much power compared to GTX 460 and it's Litter bit cheaper.

I picked gigabyte, becasue it has 2 fans. I hope it wasen't a noob choice reason lol..

#FAN: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus

#PSU: OCZ Fatal1ty 550W Modular Gaming Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandybridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom

It is a 80 plus certification PSU. And yeah it is modular.

However it was a hard part.. doing the calculations I believe 550W is just enough, donnu why most people get high watt like 700+ Watt other than for SLI-ing.. ?

I probably need help here, maybe !

#HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s

1 TB is much of a capacity and it got good reviews and I'm planning to get another one soon after I buy my rig.

-------

So what you guys think ? I kinda picked those according to the reviews it got on several sites, especially Newegg.

NOTE: I don't think I am going to get close to overclocking, as I want my pc to stay a alive for a while.

Anything I should substitute to improvement my rig ?

Thanks in advance. :) 

More about : ready 600 gaming rig

September 22, 2011 6:53:26 PM

Grab a board that uses AM3+ with a 9 series chipset if you're going with AMD.
For $600, I believe you can grab yourself a Intel Sandy Bridge computer.
m
l
Related resources
September 22, 2011 7:46:17 PM

abekl, that is the mobo imma gonna get, it has awesome reviews, i would go with the gigabyte.
m
l
September 22, 2011 8:29:12 PM

I agree to, you would be an idiots to build a AMD machine right now that does not have upgrade ability to the new cpu's.
m
l
September 22, 2011 8:53:58 PM

Save just a little bit more and buy a 2500k sandy bridge system. If you want you can upgrade later down the road to Ivy Bridge. You wont regret it.
m
l
September 25, 2011 2:49:44 PM

Thanks guys for replying.

I guess getting my self an AM3+ board like "abekl" mentioned is what I should do. But I'll buy the phenom X4 955 and use for now it until the bulldozer comes in the market.

I will wait until the price of the bulldozer goes down from ~200$ to ~100$. Just like what happend to the phenom cores. Buying now will just be a waste of money, as I believe the (X4 955 BE) is powerful enough and can smoothly run anything for now.

Beside, I'm saving cash right now to buy myself a decent Asus 20" LCD/LED screen. ^^

Anyways you guys were right. An AM3+ board is better for my rig. No difference in price compared those non-AM3+. And who knows my cpu might run dead anytime and replacing it will definitaly be easier.

So.. It is a win-win case for me picking the mobo. :) 
m
l
!