2 4gb sticks or 1 8gb stick?

Solution
D
You only need more than 8GB if you use high end video and photo editing/processing software, if you run CAD or other modeling/design programs or if you run a mulitple VM environment. For a general use or gaming computer 8GB is fine. Really 4GB is fine for 95% of the time even in that situation but RAM is dirt cheap right now and unlikely to get cheaper. If anything when DDR4 is released next year DDR3 will go up in price.

gravytrain

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012

Well the motherboard is dual channel so I thought having two cards would be slightly better than one card.

D

Deleted member 217926

^ Incorrect.

To run in dual channel you need 2 matched sticks of RAM running in matched slots. A single stick of RAM can not run in dual channel. Now you only gain a 3% to 5% performance increase running dual over single channel.

The main argument to get 2 x 4GB over 1 x 8GB is if you want to upgrade later. 8GB stick are notoriously picky about playing nice with any but identical sticks. Even a similar stick will have slightly different timings and can cause errors. So the only way I recommend 8GB sticks is in matched sets. 4GB sticks are more forgiving if you wanted to add a second kit later.

gravytrain

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012

So I guess the question is, when does having more than 8gb of RAM = more performance?

D

Deleted member 217926

You only need more than 8GB if you use high end video and photo editing/processing software, if you run CAD or other modeling/design programs or if you run a mulitple VM environment. For a general use or gaming computer 8GB is fine. Really 4GB is fine for 95% of the time even in that situation but RAM is dirt cheap right now and unlikely to get cheaper. If anything when DDR4 is released next year DDR3 will go up in price.

Solution
D

Deleted member 217926

Market saturation. DDR2 is very expensive now and has been for a few years compared to DDR3 because almost all RAM production lines are making DDR3. The same will happen when DDR4 comes out. It will actually be next year not this year since Intel announced it will be for Broadwell not Haswell as was thought 6 months ago when I answered this post. DDR3 prices are already on the upswing and according to what I have read prices are unlikely to drop in the next year due to lowered production.

Timstertimster

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2013

interesting. So, if I'm shopping for a MoBo, I suppose I need to ensure its DDR4-compatible then? Or will DDR4 be able to work on DDR3 slots?